News and Blogs
IJGT at ChampionsGate - Final Round Results
Ortiz Finishes atop Leaderboard in Close Race
Nakayama gets victory after consistent play
CHAMPIONS GATE, FL – On the first weekend in May, the International Junior Golf Tour began its Florida swing of tournaments on the International Course at ChampionsGate Golf Club. The links style International course, which hosted the event, was a great challenge to the players as the wind blew steadily all weekend over this wide-open layout.
The battle for victory in the Boys 15-19 Division was won by Jonathan Ortiz of Winter Garden, FL with a total of 2-over par 146 (68-78). After an opening round of 4-under par, 68, Ortiz held a one shot lead over John Thomson of Cresco, IA (69) and a three shot lead on Morgan Hill from Clarskville, MD (71). These three would set out together in the final pairing Sunday morning attempting to tame the wind-swept course once again with the winner receiving an invitation to the season ending Bridgestone Tournament of Champions. These players would not find as many birdies to be had on the International Course as the previous day and the winner would be whoever could limit their mistakes. In the end, Ortiz’s final round 78 and a total of 146 would give him a one shot victory. Tying for second with a total of 147 was John Thomson (69-78) and Morgan Hill (71-76). Earning this weekend’s Druh Belts Low Final Round certificate with an even par 72 on Sunday was Scott Ferguson of Zimbabwe.
Jonathan Ortiz talked with the IJGT after his victory on why he was so successful. “I was able to control the ball off of my drives all tournament long, and I was able to make some pretty unbelievable putts on Saturday, it really helped getting out to an early lead.”
In the Boys U-14 Division, after posting consistent scores of 73-77 (150) Salvador Rocha of Mexico City, Mexico found himself standing alone atop the leaderboard. Rocha was solid all weekend and never found himself in trouble. Rocha had close competition from second place finisher Connor Downey of Franklin, TN who shot rounds of 78-77 for a total of 155. Downey put together two consistent rounds of golf this weekend and really earned the runner up position. Rounding out the top 3 in the Boys U-14 Division was Chase Stoops with a total of 166 (84-82).
Salvador Rocha spoke with the IJGT after his round, “I was able to hit a lot of great approach shots and got really close to the hole. It really set up my putting and helped me build a great rhythm all weekend.”
Winning the girls U-19 Division was Ayaka Nakayama of Kanagawa, Japan at 2-over par 146 with rounds of 73-73. After finishing a close second last weekend at Oyster Reef, Nakayama was able to rebound this weekend and gain her first victory during the 2011 calendar year. Nakayama played extremely consistent golf over 36 holes not posting a nine-hole score above 38 on the International Course. This is a mirror image of what she has done all year long on the IJGT with 11 Top 5 finishes in 14 events. Finishing second with a total of 155 after rounds of 76-79 was Mai Dechathipat of Bangkok, Thailand. Rounding out the top-3 wasBenedetta Fossati of Milan, Italy.
Ayaka Nakayama discussed her tournament victory after Sunday’s round, “I was able to hit great iron shots all weekend, my driver and putter were a little shaky all weekend, and so it was important to stay consistent with my irons.”
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides exceptional junior golfers with the opportunity to develop and showcase their competitive skills while setting high standards to preserve the traditions and integrity of the game. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 60 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 45 states and 43 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Pinehurst, Bethpage State Park, and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include Bridgestone Golf, Quagmire Golf, BMW of North America, The First Tee, Golf Digest/Golf World, and Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (800) 792-9143.
Champions Gate, FL-- Final round results of the IJGT event conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour at ChampionsGate Golf Course on Sunday May 8, 2011. International Golf Course: Boys 15-19 Division: Blue Tees – 7076 Yards, Par 72, (75.0/ 140). Boys U-14 Division: White Tees – 6341 Yards, Par 72, (71.7 / 133). Girls U-19 Division: Gold Tees – 5952 Yards, Par 72, (69.5 / 121).
Saturday: Cloudless and Sunny with temperatures in the low 90’s.
Sunday: Cloudless and Sunny with a slight breeze bringing temperatures down to the high 80’s.
Boys 15-19 Division – (Blue Tees) 7076 yards, Par 72
1. Jonathan Ortiz, Winter Garden, FL *68-78—146
2. John Thomson, Cresco, IA *69-78--147
2. Morgan Hill, Clarksville, MD *71-76--147
4. Conrad Hahne, Ramsey, MN *73-75--148
5. Chris Magi, Montreal, Canada *75-74--149
6. Kenny Finlay, Caracas, Venezuela *76-74--150
7. Scott Ferguson, Zimbabwe, Africa *79-72--151
8. Erik Tiitus, Tallinn, Estonia *78-75--153
8. JaeSung Choi, North Vancouver, Canada *76-77--153
10. Jae Sung Hur, Seoul, SouthKorea *80-74--154
10. Shosei Inokawa, Atamishi, Japan *76-78--154
12. Charlie Padial, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL *79-76--155
12. Patrick Skakel, Solihull, United Kingdom *79-76--155
12. Renato Bordes, Xalapa, Mexico *78-77--155
12. Charlie Durman, Margaretting, United Kingdom *74-81--155
16. Leandro Castillo, Howey in the Hills, FL *78-80--158
17. Andres Corcuera, Zapopan, Mexico *82-81--163
18. Clarke Stresing, Newberry, FL *84-80--164
18. Claudio Garcia, Howey in the Hills, FL *81-83--164
20. Garrett Johnson, Bloomfield Hills, MI *89-84--173
21. Francisco Arias, San Juan, PR *97-91--188
Boys U-14 Division – (White Tees) 6341 yards, Par 72
1. Salvador Rocha, Howey in the Hills, FL *73-77--150
2. Connor Downey, Franklin, TN *78-77--155
3. Chase Stoops, Howey in the Hills, FL *84-82--166
Girls U-19 Division – (Gold Tees) 5952 yards, Par 72
1. Ayaka Nakayama, Kanagawa, Japan *73-73--146
2. Mai Dechathipat, Howey in the Hills, FL *76-79--155
3. Benedetta Fossati, Milano, Italy *107-108--215