News and Blogs
IJGT at Dormie Club - Final Round Results
Gordon Seizes Victory with 71
Sasaki Breaks Through at Dormie
West End, N.C. – A highly talented field of junior golfers took part in the 36-hole International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) tournament at Dormie Club, where cold weather, high winds and speedy greens made for difficult scoring conditions over the weekend.
In the Boys 15-19 Division, local competitor, William Gordon of Davidson, N.C., held off his fellow competitors to claim his first IJGT victory this season. After shooting a 4-over-par 75 in the first round, Gordon got off to a hot start in the final round firing a 1-under-par score of 34 on the front nine. Gordon held his composure down the stretch making an impressive birdie on the difficult 17th hole at Dormie Club to secure the trophy. His final-round score of 71 was the lowest score of the tournament in the Boys 15-19 Division.
Gordon took advantage of his solid short game converting many key up and downs on Sunday en route to victory. “I have come close a couple of times, but it finally feels good to get a win,” said Gordon.
Renato Bordes, a Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy (HHIJGA) student, from Xalapa, Mexico, finished in second place after carding scores of 75-74. Taking third place with a tournament total of 151 was another local competitor, Thomas Walsh of High Point, N.C.
Moyu Sasaki (HHIJGA) of Tokyo, Japan conquered the Girls Division carding a tournament total of 7-over-par 149 to claim her first victory of the season. The 12 stroke victory was very satisfying for Sasaki after finishing in the top-three in every tournament she has played this season. Sasaki secured a two stroke lead heading into the final round with a score of 8-over-par 79. She dominated the final round, starting off with three consecutive birdies in the first five holes and shooting a 1-under-par 70 to clinch the title. This marks the second straight tournament where Sasaki finished with a 70 in the final round.
Sasaki credited her victory at the extremely challenging Dormie Club to good course management. She put herself in good position off many of the tees and used many slopes around the greens to her advantage. “My 3-wood was the best club in my bag today,” said Sasaki.
Kim Mitchell (HHIJGA) of Woodbridge, Va., seized the second place trophy after carding scores of 81-80. Julia Shin (HHIJGA) of Campinas, Brazil rounded out the top-three after finishing with a tournament total of 167.
Davis Castelli of Greensboro, N.C., was the Boys 14 & Under Champion after carding rounds of 87 and 83 finishing nine strokes ahead of his closest competitor. After a rocky start to the final round, Castelli demonstrated his composure and earned his first IJGT victory after making five pars on the last nine holes.
Castelli knew scores were going to be high on Saturday with the weather conditions, but he relied on his putter to pick up the slack. “I drained a few putts on the first day in cold weather,” commented Castelli.
Another first time IJGT competitor, Baylor Griffin of Tampa, Fla., finished in second place with a tournament total of 179. In third place with a score of 186, was Peter Kelesis (HHIJGA) of Las Vegas, Nev.
The IJGT will be back in action for the Southeast Major at Port Royal Golf Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C. on November 12-13. We will be continuing our donation drive with Bunkers in Baghdad, which is a non-profit organization that gathers and delivers golf balls, clubs and equipment to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. All participants are encouraged to bring items for donation next weekend at Port Royal Golf Club.
To sign up for this event or others, or for more information, call (800) 792-9143 or visit www.IJGT.com.
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides exceptional junior golfers with the opportunity to develop and showcase their competitive skills while setting high standards to preserve the traditions and integrity of the game. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 60 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 45 states and 43 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Pinehurst, Bethpage State Park, and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include Bridgestone Golf, Quagmire Golf, The First Tee, Golf Digest/Golf World, and Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (800) 792-9143.
West End, N.C. —Final round results of the IJGT event conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) at Dormie Club completed November 6, 2011. Boys 15-19 Division: Black Tees - 6701 yards, par 71, (72.7/137). Boys 14 & Under Division: White Tees – 6017 yards, par 71, (69.4/128). Girls Division: Red Tees – 5643 yards, Par 71 (72.9/131).
Weather: Saturday: Sunny with temperatures in the high 40s. Wind of 15-20 m.p.h.
Sunday: Sunny with temperatures in the low 60s.
International Junior Golf Tour at Dormie Club
West End, N.C.
November 5-6, 2011
Boys 15-19 Division (Black Tees) 6701 yards, Par 71
1. William Gordon, Davidson, NC, *75-71--146
2. Renato Bordes, Xalapa, Mexico, *75-74--149
3. Thomas Walsh, High Point, NC, *76-75--151
4. Joshua Martin, Pinehurst, NC, *77-75--152
5. Matt Cheng, Taipei, Taiwan, *78-78--156
6. Clay Brown, Davidson, NC, *83-74--157
6. Chandler White, Clemmons, NC, *79-78--157
8. Mark Folkwein, New Albany, OH, *80-80--160
9. Kevin Reich, Winterthur, Switzerland, *88-73--161
9. AdrianGonzalez, Chihuahua, Mexico, *77-84--161
11. Cole Ray, Raleigh, NC, *85-77--162
11. Dak Spivey, Huntington, NY, *75-87--162
13. Theron Ornt, Highland Park, IL, *83-80--163
13. Anthony Perrino, Mooresville, NC, *84-79--163
13. Harrison Taylor, Shallotte, NC, *79-84--163
13. Patrick Cover, Huntersville, NC, *79-84--163
17. Matthew Kraus, Essex Fells, NJ, *78-86--164
18. Cutter Boit, Sammamish, WA, *83-82--165
19. Diego Lamadrid Navarro, Bluffton, SC, *87-79--166
20. Raimondo Franchi, Milano, Italy, *85-82--167
20. Jasper Volver, Kolding, Denmark, *82-85--167
22. Zachary Martin, Pinehurst, NC, *87-81--168
23. Kevin Stallings, Greenville, NC, *86-85--171
24. Michael Chanaud, Gambrills, MD, *85-87--172
25. James Grigjanis-Meusel, Niagara on the Lake, Canada, *91-83--174
25. Chris Magi, Montreal, Canada, *84-90--174
27. River Howard, Denver, NC, *88-90--178
27. Emilio Sanchez, Torreon, Mexico, *86-92--178
29. Andrea Bacchi, Milan, Italy, *97-82--179
30. Robbie Hickok, Washington, DC, *94-88--182
31. Andrew Goedde, Indianapolis, IN, *96-87--183
32. Phillip Talieh, Saratoga, CA, *98-96--194
33. Phil Kim, Seoul, South Korea, *105-112--217
Jordan Smith, Phoenix, AZ, **WD
Boys 14 & Under Division (White Tees) 6017 yards, Par 71
1. Davis Castelli, Greensboro, NC, *87-83--170
2. Baylor Griffin, Tampa, FL, *93-86--179
3. Peter Kelesis, Las Vegas, NV, *95-91--186
4. Griffin Cryan, Pinehurst, NC, *92-95--187
5. Marshall Clemens, Weston, MA, *106-94--200
6. Alexandr Kuzmin, Almaty, Kazakhstan, *115-104--219
Girls 19 & Under Division (Red Tees) 5643, Par 71
1. Moyu Sasaki, Tokyo, Japan, *79-70--149
2. Kim Mitchell, Woodbridge,VA, *81-80--161
3. Julia Shin, Campinas, Brazil, *85-82--167
4. Paige Cappelli, Blue Bell, PA, *86-83--169
5. Phyllis Tang, Hong Kong, China, *88-83--171
6. Kate Alty, Kingston, Canada, *89-87--176
7. Soo Jin Lim, Seoul, South Korea, *91-86--177
8. Grace Kim, Sao Paulo, Brazil, *90-93--183
9. Victoria Nichols, Lowell, IN, *98-99--197
10. Veronica Vetesnik, Winnipeg, Canada, *104-94--198