Gotterup claims Boys 15-19 Division at Architects
Updike shoots 5-under-par to win title
LOPATCONG, N.J. – The International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) continued the 2015 Fall Season with The Architects Cup at Architects Golf Club on Sept. 26-27, 2015. Junior golfers ages 10-19 years old representing 6 different states competed in the 36-hole tournament for IJGT Merit Points, National Rankings, and AJGA Performance Stars.
Chris Gotterup of Little Silver, N.J., earned the title in the Boys 15-19 Division after firing a 3-under, 139 tournament total. The wind at Architects Golf Club was a major factor. During both rounds the wind was consistently blowing around 10 miles per hour or greater. It was also a swirling wind making club selection extremely difficult. Gotterup was able to manage the conditions and used his length to his advantage.
Gotterup started the tournament with a round of even-par, 71 which gave him a two-stroke lead. During the first round, he made three birdies. In the final round, Gotterup turned it up a notch making six birdies in route to a 3-under, 68. This stellar performance gave him a three-stroke victory, his first on the IJGT.
“My mentality coming in to the final round was to gain the shots back that I left out there yesterday,” said Gotterup.
Alec Kerr of Broomall, Pa., finished in second place posting a tournament total of even-par 142. Kerr fired a 3-under, 68 in the final round, which tied for the low round of the tournament. In third place was Richard Riva III of Lancaster, Pa., who finished with a tournament total of 145.
The performance of the tournament came in the Boys 14 & Under Division where John Updike of Wayne, Pa., blew away the competition shooting a 5-under, 137 to win by 14 strokes. In the first round, Updike carded the lowest round of the day shooting a 2-under, 69. The final round was even better for Updike who recorded a 3-under, 68 to earn his third IJGT victory.
Updike did his damage on the front nine at Architects Golf Club. In the first round, he carded a 33 and in the final round a 32. In total, Updike made eight birdies and one eagle for the tournament.
Updike’s final-round score of 3-under, 68 earned him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award. Gotterup and Kerr also received the award for their identical score of 68.
“My mentality coming into the final round with the lead was to not play conservative and shoot better than I did on the first day,” commented Updike.
Garrett Engle of Harrisburg, Pa., finished in second place in the Boys 14 & Under Division with a total score of 151. Luke Sample of New York, N.Y., took home third place finishing with a score of 152.
In the Girls Division, Anna Bowman of Westfield, N.J., earned her first IJGT title after recording a tournament total of 168. Bowman recorded a final-round score of 81, which was a six-stroke improvement from the previous day. The highlight of the tournament for Bowman was her front-nine score of 38 during the final round.
“Today I was thinking about playing well and being able to put up a good number,” said Bowman.
Meghan Jeran of Blue Point, N.Y., finished in second place for the event with a tournament total of 215.
The IJGT will travel to Lake Buena Vista, Fla., for the Florida Junior at Disney Resort on Oct. 3-4, 2015. The tournament will feature national rankings, AJGA Performance Stars as well as IJGT Merit Points. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides domestic and international junior golfers national exposure in competitive tournaments at top venues around the world, preparing them for future success in golf and in life. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 40 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 30 states and 30 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Kiawah Island Resort and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include AHEAD, Bridgestone Golf, Clazic Belts, Laurel Springs School, The First Tee, Oakley Eyewear, Golfweek, PUMA Golf, EyeLine Golf, Bishops Gate Golf Academy and the International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
LOPATCONG, N.J. – Final-round results of The Architects Cup at Architects Golf Club conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour completed September 27, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Blue Tees – 6,700 yards, Par 71 (72.2/132). Boys 14 & Under Division: Black Tees – 5,991 yards, Par 71 (68.8/125) Girls Division: White Tees – 5,648 yards, Par 71 (73.1/126).
Round 1: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the low 70’s with 10-15 mph winds
Round 2: Partly with temperatures in the high 60’s with 10-15 mph winds
International Junior Golf Tour
The Architects Cup
September 26-27, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division – Black Tees, 6,700 yards, Par 71
1. Chris Gotterup, Little Silver, NJ *71-68–139
2. Alec Kerr, Broomall, PA *74-68–142
3. Richard Riva III, Lancaster, PA *73-72–145
4. Reid Bedell, Fair Haven, NJ *76-71–147
4. Andrew Lombardo, Lansdale, PA *75-72–147
6. Christian Chapman, Victor, NY *73-75–148
7. Peter Bradbeer, Philidelphia, PA *79-71–150
7. George Cultraro, Wyckoff, NJ *77-73–150
7. Chris Lee, West Nyack, NY *76-74–150
10. Patrick Boles, Basking Ridge, NJ *77-74–151
10. Jack Conlon, Hamburg, NJ *75-76–151
12. Nicholas Gianelos, West Chester, PA *76-76–152
12. David Powers, Glen Spey, NY *76-76–152
14. William Riva, Lancaster, PA *81-73–154
14. Lewis Raboy, White Plains, NY *74-80–154
16. Brent Schoeller, Jenkintown, PA *82-74–156
16. Jack Cornforth, Summit, NJ *80-76–156
16. Andy Stock, Danbury, CT *76-80–156
19. Spencer Weiner, Short Hills, NJ *76-81–157
20. Jay Kim, Holmdel, NJ *81-77–158
20. T.J. Buck, Penfield, NY *79-79–158
20. Christopher Chan, New York, NY *79-79–158
20. Nick DiMarco, Poughkeepsie, NY *78-80–158
20. Luke Dougherty, Sea Girt, NJ *78-80–158
25. Jake Sitzler, Burlington, NJ *81-78–159
25. Jack Daley, Lansdale, PA *80-79–159
25. Jack Halleron, Timonium, MD *80-79–159
28. Robby Coene, Fair Haven, NJ *87-73–160
28. Ryan Lee, Norwood, NJ *77-83–160
30. Charles Young II, Woodstock, MD *80-82–162
31. Jake Reed, Eldersburg, MD *84-79–163
32. Jack Martinides, Newtown, PA *79-85–164
33. James Murphy, Shelter Island Heights, NY *84-81–165
34. Sanghyeon Park, Oakland Gardens, NY *83-83–166
35. Connor Mantel, Manorville, NY *88-80–168
35. Devin Sanders, Camden, DE *86-82–168
35. Logan Carter, Montclair, NJ *85-83–168
38. Liam Seston, Ridgewood, NJ *86-83–169
39. Jake Ferry, Wildwood Crest, NJ *83-88–171
40. Andrew Perry, Basking Ridge, NJ *89-83–172
41. Matt Saraceno, Ridgewood, NJ *86-87–173
41. Deion Shepherd, Dayton, NJ *85-88–173
43. Pat Vogdes, Wildwood Crest, NJ *89-85–174
43. Kyle Froisland, Blairstown, NJ *88-86–174
45. Jack Howard, Pelham, NY *90-91–181
Boys 14 & Under Division – Gold Tees, 5,991 yards, Par 71
1. John Updike, Wayne, PA *69-68–137
2. Garrett Engle, Harrisburg, PA *79-72–151
3. Luke Sample, New York, NY *74-78–152
4. Maxwell Sorger, Montclair, NJ *74-79–153
5. Jack Merrill, Old Greenwich, CT *80-79–159
6. Eegan McDermott, East Brunswick, NJ *80-84–164
7. Andrew Curran, Media, PA *97-78–175
8. Barnes Blake, Westfield, NJ *94-90–184
9. Andrew Sample, New York, NY *91-96–187
DID NOT FINISH
Matt Cooper, Dobbs Ferry, NY *88-WD
Girls Division – Blue Tees, 5,648 yards, Par 71
1. Anna Bowman, Westfield, NJ *87-81–168
2. Meghan Jeran, Blue Point, NY *112-103–215