International Junior Golf Tour Thanksgiving Day Classic
TPC Sawgrass Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.- The International Junior Golf Tour returned to an annual stop on their tour this week with the playing of the Thanksgiving Classic at TPC Sawgrass. The juniors were challenged throughout the weekend on both courses, with Pete Dye’s Valley Course and TPC Stadium Course, home of the PGA Players Championship. The players enjoyed spectacular weather for the late November event, all while competing for AJGA Performance Stars, national rankings, and IJGT merit points.
After three rounds of great competition, the Boys 15-19 Division would ultimately be decided in a two-way playoff. After one playoff hole, Gordan Brixi of Potomac, MD came away victorious after a stellar final round.
“It feels good to get the win”, Brixi said after the round. “I did not change much today, just needed to play my game because I did not
know how the leaders were playing. I was happy to go to a playoff because I wanted to keep playing on this great course.”
Brixi tallied scores of 74 and 80 for the first two rounds on the Valley course. Then on Saturday, he finished with an impressive round of 74 on the Stadium course, ultimately creating the playoff. Brixi concluded after the round that winning the playoff on the famous 17th hole was great, but the 16th hole was the favorite for him on Saturday.
“That is where I started to turn it around for me”, Brixi added. “After that hole I knew there was a good chance some good would follow, and clearly it did.”
Finishing in second place for the week is Chase Phillips of Hilton Head Island, SC. Phillips was impressive all weekend, putting together scores of 79, 70 and 79 for 228 finish. Then, finishing out the top three is Jaden Weisman of Malvern, PA, putting together rounds of 77, 74, and 80 for a 231 finish.
For the Boys 14 & Under Division, Julian Sanchez- Garcia went wire-to-wire earning the top prize. Sanchez- Garcia showed great consistency throughout the weekend, tallying scores of 79, 77, and 79 for a total of
- Sanchez-Garcia said there was no additional pressure or challenge and focused on playing his best in earning the victory.
“After the first day I had a comfortable lead and felt great where I placed myself”, Sanchez-Garcia added. “You do not get to play at a course like this every day so just enjoying everything and playing my best was the biggest reason for the win”.
Finishing in the top three for the weekend are Seung Jae Mo of South Korea, who had rounds of 93, 80 and 89. Rounding out top three is Matthew Pilgrim of Canada, finishing with rounds of 90, 84 and 92.
Then, in the Girls Division, Sophia Burnett continued her impressive play as of late adding a victory over the
weekend. Battling some minor setbacks during the first round, Burnett found her comfort zone during the second round ultimately finishing the week off with a victory.
“Feels pretty cool to win, because it is TPC Sawgrass and I am grateful to win here”, Burnett said after the round. “I had some hiccups on a few holes during the first round that I was able to overcome, but the
second round I was much more comfortable on those holes”.
Burnett, like the majority of the field, spoke highly of the new renovations made to the TPC Stadium course. Those changes luckily played to the strength of her game.
Burnett added “They are great changes, some of the holes I did not recognize at first but the course here is simply amazing”.
The IJGT will conclude its Fall season in a few weeks, with the playing of the IJGA Invitational at Harbourtown Golf Links in Hilton Head, SC. Players will be competing for national rankings, and the chance to earn IJGT Merit points as well as AJGA Performance Stars. To sign up for this event, or view future events, visit IJGT.com, or call (844) 779-3374.
Final results of the Thanksgiving Day Classic at TPC Sawgrass were conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour on November 26, 2016.
Boys 15-19 Division: Rounds 1 & 2 Dye’s Valley Course- Black Tees 6,684 Yards, 71.9/129. Round 3 Stadium Course- Black Tees 6,650 Yards, 74.0/146. Boys 14& Under Division: Rounds 1& 2 Dye’s Valley Course- Blue Tees 5,972 Yards, 69.4/131. Round 3 Stadium Course- Blue Tees 5,992 Yards, 70.3/136. Girls Division: Rounds 1 &2 Dye’s Valley Course- White Tees 5,765 Yards, 65.0/115. Round 3 Stadium Course- White Tees 5,720 Yards, 76.0/151.
International Junior Golf Tour Thanksgiving Day Classic at TPC Sawgrass Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
November 24-26, 2016
Boys 15-19 Division-
Round 1 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course 6,684 Yards, Par 72 Round 2 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course: 6,684 Yards, Par 72 Round 3 – (Black Tees) Stadium Course: 6,650 Yards, Par 72
1-x. Gordan Brixi, Potomac, MD *74-80-74–228
- Chase Phillips, Hilton Head Island, SC *79-70-79–228
- Jaden Weisman, Malvern, PA *77-74-80–231
- Samuel Cudjoe, Bethel, Trinidad and Tobago *76-78-80–234
- Noah Schwartz, Cherry Hill, NJ *78-74-83–235
- PJ ORourke, Ho Ho Kus *73-79-84–236
- Sean Niles, Northville, MI *79-75-82–236
- Elliot Wright, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL *78-77-81–236
- Alex Whitehead, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL *79-79-81–239
- Mike Donner, Hamburg, NY *76-77-87–240
- Frank Parisi, Schenectady, NY *83-81-79–243
- Chun Yan Leong, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia *78-85-83–246
- Philipp Katich, St.Leon-Rot *82-81-87–250
- Will Englander, Cohasset, MA *84-84-83–251
- Michael Katsman, Howey-In-The-HIlls, FL *80-81-91–252
- Will Whittaker, Palm Beach Gardens, FL *84-79-89–252
- Mao Hirota, Nagoya, Japan *91-82-80–253
- Jamie Murray, Ontario, Canada *79-89-87–255
- Oreo Prommart, Thung Khonkaen, Thailand *84-81-92–257
- Matthew Chorches, West Hartford, CT *77-85-97–259
- Punya Khanna, Dubai, United Arab Emirates *89-82-88–259
- Adam Miller, Silver Spring, MD *84-83-96–263
- Mike Tomczak, Lake View, NY *87-83-93–263
- Ethan Dawson, Edmond, OK *90-93-91–274
- Adam DeSorbo, Amsterdam, NY *89-95-93–277
- Rekgabile Nyhonyha, Johannesberg, South Africa *91-90-99–280
- Zack Jiang, Guangdong, China *96-88-96–280
Boys 14 & Under Division-
Round 1 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course 5,972 Yards, Par 72 Round 2 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course: 5,972 Yards, Par 72 Round 3 – (Black Tees) Stadium Course: 5,992 Yards, Par 72
- Julian Sanchez-Garcia, Xalapa, Mexico *79-77-79–235
- Seung Jae Mo, Goyang, South Korea *93-80-89–262
- Matthew Pilgrim, West Vancouver, BC *90-84-92–266
- Zach Locke, Horseheads, NY *95-88-93–276
- Finn ORourke, HoHoKus, NJ *96-90-98–284
- David Murigi, Nairobi, Kenya *90-96-102–288
Round 1 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course 5,765 Yards, Par 72 Round 2 – (Black Tees) Dyes Valley Course: 5,765 Yards, Par 72 Round 3 – (Black Tees) Stadium Course: 5,720 Yards, Par 72
- Sophia Burnett, Bluffton, SC *86-74-83-243
- Gabriella Gilrowski, Westfield, IN *85-81-88–254
- Camila Burnett, Bluffton, SC *89-92-96–277
- Erica Boyd, Charlotte, NC *95-95-92–282
- Megan Donahue, Lafayette, IN *101-87-101–289
- Sabrina Reyes, Leon Guanajuato, Mexico *102-97-102–301