Morris makes moves in final round
Parker wins in playoff
FARMINGTON, Pa. – The IJGT traveled to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort to host the College Prep Series. The College Prep Series tournaments are 54-hole contests designed to prepare juniors for future college tournaments. Day one consisted of 18 holes played on the Links Course followed by 18 holes on the Mystic Rock Course. The final round of 18 holes was held on the Mystic Rock Course as well. The field of 43 competitors battled for IJGT Merit Points and national rankings as well as an invite to the IJGT’s Bridgestone Tournament of Champions to be played at Grand Cypress Resort on May 24-26, 2014.
In the Boys 15-19 Division, Benjamin Morris of Reistertown, Md., took first place with an impressive comeback. Headed into the final round Morris trailed the division leader by three strokes. His play in the final round was consistent, making par on 10 holes. With only nine holes to play, Morris trailed the leader by two strokes. Morris’ move came when he made it to hole 14. He would go on to make birdie on three of his final five holes. This stretch proved to be the difference maker as Morris won his respective division by two strokes. Through 54 holes, Morris totaled seven birdies and 29 pars. Morris posted scores of 76-77-74–227.
When asked his performance on his final five holes, Morris replied, “I knew that I would probably need to make some birdies because I was trailing. I just hit some good shots and made some putts and it felt pretty good coming down the stretch.”
Paul Edgar of Kitchener, Canada, finished in second place with 77-73-79—229. Connor Schmidt of Venetia, Pa., took third place. Schmidt’s numbers for the weekend were 79-74-77—230. Andrew Reynolds, of Pittsburgh, Pa., final round score of 73 won the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award. This award goes to the player that shoots the lowest score during the final round of the tournament.
In the Girls Division, Victoria Parker of Lewiston, N.Y., won the division in a 1-hole playoff. Parker came into the final round with a 10-stroke lead in the division. Parker finished day one with four total birdies. She totaled no birdies and six pars during her final round. Synclaire Kuhn of McMurray, Pa., battled back and forth with Parker. Kuhn finished with a birdie on hole number 18 to force a playoff. Parker brought her best in the playoff hole. Her drive went right down the middle and split the fairway. She stuck her next shot within one foot. Parker stepped up and made the putt for birdie to win her first IJGT event this season Her numbers for the weekend were 82-80-90–252.
When asked what was working well for her today, Parker said, “My putting. It saved me a lot from doubling or even more.”
Kuhn finished in second place with scores of 92-80-80—252. Kuhn’s final round score of 80 won her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Marc Groenhuysen of West Chester, Pa., took the division lead early and never looked back. His distance allowed him to score well on both the Links and Mystic Rock courses. Groenhuysen played very well during the first 36-holes. He made five birdies on day one and headed into the final round with a commanding lead. On the final day, he struggled a bit, but managed to hang on to his lead in the division. He made seven pars and added one more birdie in the final round. Groenhuysen took home his first IJGT championship with his win. He posted scores of 78-75-84–237.
When asked about his favorite part about the two courses at Nemacolin, Groenhuysen said, “I preferred the Mystic Rock [course] because it suited my game better and I made a few more birdies on Mystic Rock.”
The IJGT’s next event will be the Major Championship at Bulle Rock on April 26-27, 2014. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (800) 792-9143.
FARMINGTON, Pa. – Final round results of the IJGT College Prep at Nemacolin conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour completed April 20, 2014. Boys 15-19 Division: Links Course – Blue Tees – 6,691 yards, Par 70 (72.7/134), Mystic Rock Course – Blue Tees – 6,835 yards, Par 72 (73.7/139). Boys 14 & Under Division: Links Course – White Tees – 5,971 yards, Par 70 (69.7/128), Mystic Rock Course – White Tees – 6,118 yards, Par 72 (70.3/134) Girls Division: Links Course – Gold Tees – 5,614 yards, Par 70 (72.7/12), Mystic Rock Course – Gold Tees – 5,816 yards, Par 72 (74.5/136).
Weather: Saturday: Sunny with temperatures in the low 60’s with 15-20 mph winds
Sunday: Sunny with temperatures in the high 60’s with 15-20 mph winds
International Junior Golf Tour
College Prep at Nemacolin
April 19-20, 2014
Boys 15-19 Division
Round 1 – (Blue Tees) The Links: 6,691 yards, Par 70
Round 2 – (Blue Tees) Mystic Rock: 6,835, Par 72
Round 3 – (Blue Tees) Mystic Rock: 6,835, Par 72
1. Benjamin Morris, Reisterstown, MD *76-77-74-227
2. Paul Edgar, Kitchener, Canada *77-73-79–229
3. Connor Schmidt, Venetia, PA *79-74-77–230
4. Ryan Podufal, Erie, PA *81-73-77–231
4. Alec Stopperich, Venetia, PA *77-76-78–231
6. Andrew Reynolds, Pittsburgh, PA *76-83-73–232
6. Matt Holuta, Indiana, PA *76-78-78–232
6. Adam Gray, Potomac, MD *76-76-80–232
9. Ben Reichert, East Amherst, NY *83-74-76–233
10. Anthony Cordaro, Pittsburgh, PA *77-77-80–234
11. Declan Hickton, Pittsburgh, PA *74-82-79–235
11. Sasha Lobel, Pittsburgh, PA *75-82-78–235
13. David Ross, Lorton, VA *80-79-78–237
13. Kyle Grube, Indiana, PA *81-79-77–237
15. Keenan Hickton, Pittsburgh, PA *81-76-81–238
16. Cale Wheeler, Morgantown, WV *80-78-81–239
17. Andrej Erkelens, Pittsford, NY *76-76-88–240
18. Rij Patel, Hunt Valley, MD *84-81-77–242
18. Will Robinson, Pittsburgh, PA *78-83-81–242
20. Anthony Muscato, Gibsonia, PA *84-81-80–245
21. Colin Dubnik, Rochester, NY *77-87-82–246
21. Josh Madarang, Chester Springs, PA *78-83-85–246
23. Michael Bushman, North Potomac, MD *82-84-81–247
23. Frank Pantano, Gibsonia, PA *78-85-84–247
25. Max Pollack, Pittsburgh, PA *77-80-91–248
26. Davis Diethrich, Allison Park, PA *87-81-83–251
27. Richard Riva III, Lancaster, PA *89-85-80–254
28. Will Lusk, Venetia, PA *84-87-86–257
29. Adam Sprenger, Perry, NY *82-86-90–258 29. Matt McCord, Titusville, PA *87-77-94–258
31. Jerome Landry, Jr., Duncansville, PA *87-85-87–259
32. Eddie Zhang, Murrysville, PA *90-82-92–264
33. Steve DePasquale, Massapequa, NY *82-93-91–266
34. Billy Rosemeyer, Gibsonia, PA *84-90-93–267
35. Benjamin Kotler, Penn Valley, PA *100-84-87–271
36. Greg Zahour, Schnecksville, PA *95-96-81–272
37. Adam Miller, Silver Spring, MD *102-109-103–314
Boys 14 & Under Division
Round 1 – (White Tees) The Links: 5,971 yards, Par 70
Round 2 – (White Tees) Mystic Rock: 6,118 yards, Par 72
Round 3 – (White Tees) Mystic Rock: 6,118 yards, Par 72
1. Marc Groenhuysen, West Chester, PA *78-75-84–237
2. William Riva, Lancaster, PA *88-87-83–258
3. Dylan Plis, Camillus, NY *88-84-88–260
Round 1 – (Gold Tees) The Links: 5,614 yards, Par 70
Round 2 – (Gold Tees) Mystic Rock: 5,816 yards, Par 72
Round 3 – (Gold Tees) Mystic Rock: 5,816 yards, Par 72
1. Victoria Parker, Lewiston, NY *82-80-90–252
2. Synclaire Kuhn, McMurray, PA *92-80-80–252