McCloskey wins second consecutive Boys 14 & Under title
McCann wins first IJGT event
The International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) remained local to host the IJGT Island Open at Palmetto Hall on April 25-26, 2015. Juniors competed for IJGT Merit Points, national rankings and North American Junior Amateur exemptions during the two-day, 36-hole event. Round one of the event was suspended due to lightning and torrential rain. The completion of round one and all of round two were both played on Sunday, in warm and sunny conditions.
Conor Byrne (left) of Dublin, Ireland, shot a 2-under 70 in round one on his way to a 1-under 143 tournament total and his second IJGT title of the season in the Boys 15-19 Division. He carded back-to-back birdies three times during the tournament and finished with eight total birdies. “My favorite hole was hole No. 14,” he said after the tournament. “I had two birdies there this weekend, so that was nice.” He made par or better on 17 of 18 holes in round one. According to Byrne his driver was the best club in his bag this weekend. “I hit a lot of fairways, which put me in good position,” he said.
Taisuke Ono of Tokyo, Japan, finished second with a 147 tournament total. He carded nine birdies to win the EyeLine Golf Golden Putter Award, the award presented to the junior to card the most birdies in each division.
Rowan Foxley of Arlington, Wash., finished third with a 149 tournament total. He carded an even-par 72 in the second round to earn the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, the award presented to the male and female juniors to card the lowest scores in the final round of an event.
For Girls Division winner Holly McCann (left) of Raleigh, N.C., the highlight of the tournament was her round one 1-under 71. “That’s my first tournament under par, so it’s really memorable,” she said after the event.
The 14-year-old McCann carded a 77 in round two to finish with a 148 tournament total and sole possession of first place. She carded three birdies in round one and two more in round two to finish with five total. She had a division-best 17-hole par-or-better streak, which began with a birdie on the par-5 tenth hole in round one and ended with the par-3 eighth in round two.
Ankita Kedlaya of Bangalore, India, carded a 150 tournament total to finish second in the Girls Division. She made par or better on every hole on the front nine in both rounds.
Gabriela Teran of Managua, Nicaragua, finished third with a 152 tournament total.
Fourth-place finisher Bunyaporn Zeng of Bangkok, Thailand, carded nine birdies during the tournament to win the EyeLine Golf Golden Putter Award for the Girls Division. Her second-round 2-over 74, which included two sets of consecutive birdies, also earned her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the girls.
Aidan McCloskey (left) of Northborough, Mass., carded a 163 tournament total to earn his second consecutive Boys 14 & Under Division title. He won the IJGT Oldfield Junior earlier this month. The secret to McCloskey’s success this weekend was his iron game. “The best club in my bag this weekend was my 8-iron,” he said after the final round. “I hit it pretty good; this whole tournament I always seemed to have it.”
Matthew Camel of Greenwich, Conn., and Keegan Vaugh of Myrtle Beach, S.C., tied for second with 166 tournament totals. The duo had identical scores of 81 in round one and 85 in round two. Vaugh carded three birdies to earn the EyeLine Golf Golden Putter Award for the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Hilton Head Island, SC – Final Results of the IJGT Island Open at Palmetto Hall on April 25-26, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Blue Tees – 6,704 yards Par 72 (73.4/138). Boys 14 & Under Division: White Tees – 6,184 yards, Par 72 (70.7/132). Girls Division: Black Tees – 5,745 yards, Par 72 (73.8/129).
International Junior Golf Tour
IJGT Island Open
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
April 25-26, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division- Blue Tees, 6,704 yards, Par 72
1. Conor Byrne, Dublin, Ireland *70-73–143
2. Taisuke Ono, Tokyo, Japan *73-74–147
3. Rowan Foxley, Arlington, WA *77-72–149
4. Taylor Kay-Green, Needham, MA *75-75–150
5. Matt Cheng, Taipei, Taiwan *78-74–152
6. Keshav Sharma, New Delhi, India *73-80–153
6. Frederic Ruess, Hamburg, Germany *77-76–153
8. Tennoshin Ogawa, Ichinomiya-shi, Japan *80-74–154
8. Won Jun Choi, Seoul, South Korea *75-79–154
10. Cameron Clair, Bluffton, SC *79-76–155
10. Zach Seeler, Marion, IN *77-78–155
12. Guodong Ji, Quing Dao, China *81-76–157
13. Leo Hernandez, Stewartsville, NJ *78-80–158
13. Nathan Parry, Chapel Hill, NC *76-82–158
13. Vince Brunet, Ottawa, Canada *79-79–158
16. Nate Tosto, Pooler, GA *85-76–161
17. Jason Stokes, St. Brelade, Jersey *85-77–162
18. Kyle Ash, Reading, MA *82-81–163
19. Brock Erwin, Muldrow, OK *79-85–164
19. Shogo Taniguchi, Osaka, Japan *76-88–164
19. Sam Myers, Colchester, VT *82-82–164
22. Ryan Pongrac, Freehold, NJ *76-89–165
22. Karan Arjun, Bangalore, India *84-81–165
22. Paul Gostner, Bolzano, Italy *82-83–165
25. Mark Goodall, Livingston, Scotland *90-77–167
26. Aniruddh Kedlaya, Bangalore, India *90-83–173
27. Carsen Sanchez, Bristol, VT *89-87–176
28. Thomas Pfoestl, Schenna, Italy *85-92–177
29. John Milner, Odessa, FL *86-93–179
29. Logan Stefanko, Plymouth, MI *85-94–179
31. Karan Bhasin, Mishref, Kuwait *90-90–180
DID NOT FINISH
DQ. Alex Vegh, Gahanna, OH
DQ. Nelson Ou, Foshan, China
JWD. Britt Walton, Steamboat Springs, CO
Boys 14 & Under Division- White Tees, 6,184 yards, Par 72
1. Aiden McCloskey, Northborough, MA *78-85–163
2. Matthew Camel, Greenwich, CT *81-85–166
2. Keegan Vaugh, Myrtle Beach, SC *81-85–166
4. Matthew Dzialga, Greenwich, CT *82-85–167
5. Connor Kirkham, Paducah, KY *91-86–177
6. Dimitris Vasilakos, Savannah, GA *104-108–212
Girls Division- Black Tees, 5,745 yards, Par 72
1. Holly McCann, Raleigh, NC *71-77–148
2. Ankita Kedlaya, Bangalore, India *72-78–150
3. Gabriela Teran, Managua, Nicaragua *76-76–152
4. Bunyaporn Zeng, Bangkok, Thailand *79-74–153
5. Lita Huber, Montevideo, Uruguay *80-77–157
6. Anna Eddy, Hilton Head Island, SC *82-76–158
7. Jasmine Chee, Hong Kong, China *78-81–159
8. Yuki Nakayama, Kawasakishi, Japan *78-87–165
9. Yeji Ahn, Changwon-City, South Korea *83-85–168
10. Siyan Chen, Hanzhou City, China *101-79–180
11. Katie Dzialga, Greenwich, CT *92-94–186