Gianelos earns victory in playoff at Radley Run Country Club
Lees wins third IJGT title in Girls Division
WEST CHESTER, Pa. – The International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) continued the 2015 Fall Season with the IJGT Philly Open at Radley Run Country Club. Junior golfers ages 10-19 years old and representing five different states competed in the 36-hole tournament for IJGT Merit Points and National Rankings.
36 holes was not enough to crown a champion in the Boys 15-19 Division. Nicholas Gianelos of West Chester, Pa., earned the victory in playoff fashion with a par on the first playoff hole. Gianelos, a member of Radley Run Country Club, used his knowledge of the course to pull out the victory over Thomas Moran of Marietta, Pa. Both Gianelos and Moran ended the tournament with a score of 154.
Gianelos started off the tournament with a solid opening front nine with a 1-over, 37. He ended the first round with a 77, which put him in a tie for second place behind first-round leader Anthony Cordaro of Pittsburgh, Pa., who recorded a 3-over, 75.
In the final round, Gianelos was in the penultimate pairing so getting off to a good start would be crucial in putting together a comeback. He did just that starting off the final round with a 38 on his opening nine. Gianelos added a birdie on the par-5, 12th hole at Radley Run Country Club to put himself in position. He finished with another 77, which earned him a spot in the aforementioned playoff for the Boys 15-19 Division title.
“I went into the playoff treating it like match play. Whatever he did I had to beat,” commented Gianelos.
There was a tie for third place in the Boys 15-19 Division between Cordaro and Ben Pochet of Royersford, Pa., who finished with a tournament total of 156.
Jack Cornforth of Summit, N.J., fired a 2-over, 74 in the final round to earn the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, which goes to one boy and one girl who record the lowest final-round score in every IJGT tournament.
In the Girls Division, Kaitlyn Lees of Byrn Mawr, Pa., earned the victory with a tournament total of 151. Lees put together the best two rounds of the tournament in the division to claim a 16-stroke victory. During her first round, Lees was 1-under-par through 13 holes, but gave a few strokes back as she started off the tournament with a 3-over, 75 to build a six-stroke lead going into the final round. Lees started the final round with a 40 on her opening nine, but quickly bounced back with birdies on holes Nos. 10-11 to end all doubts of a comeback. Lees closed with a solid even-par 36 on her last nine holes to earn her third career IJGT title.
“I came into today with the same mentality as yesterday. I did not want the lead to get to my head,” said Lees.
With her final-round score of 76, Lees earned the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award in the Girls Division.
Finishing in second place in the Girls Division was Mary McGuinness of Haddonfield, N.J., with a tournament total of 167. Olivia Traynor of Villanova, Pa., took third place with a tournament total of 173.
The IJGT will conduct two national tournaments on September 19-20, 2015, with the St. John Golf and Fitness Open at Penfield Country Club and the Southeast Kickoff at Crescent Pointe Golf Club. The tournaments will feature national rankings, AJGA Performance Stars as well as IJGT Merit Points. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides domestic and international junior golfers national exposure in competitive tournaments at top venues around the world, preparing them for future success in golf and in life. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 40 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 30 states and 30 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Kiawah Island Resort and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include AHEAD, Bridgestone Golf, Clazic Belts, Laurel Springs School, The First Tee, Oakley Eyewear, Golfweek, PUMA Golf, EyeLine Golf, Bishops Gate Golf Academy and the International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
WEST CHESTER, Pa. – Final-round results of the IJGT Philly Open at Radley Run Country Club conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour completed September 13, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Blue Tees – 6,766 yards, Par 72 (73.2/137). Girls Division: White Tees – 5,776 yards, Par 72 (74.2/132)
Saturday: Rain with temperatures in the mid 70’s with 5-10 mph winds
Sunday: Partly cloudly with temperatures in the low 70’s with 5-10 mph winds
International Junior Golf Tour
IJGT Philly Open at Radley Run Country Club
West Chester, Pa.
September 12-13, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division- Blue Tees, 6,766 yards, Par 72
1. x-Nicholas Gianelos, West Chester, PA *77-77–154
2. Thomas Moran, Marietta, PA *77-77–154
3. Ben Pochet, Royersford, PA *80-76–156
3. Anthony Cordaro, Pittsburgh, PA *75-81–156
5. Hunter Mickatavage, Ashland, PA *78-79–157
6. Jack Cornforth, Summit, NJ *84-74–158
6. Matthew Davis, Newtown Square, PA *79-79–158
6. Andrew Kotler, Skillman, NJ *77-81–158
9. Kevin Scherr, Nazareth, PA *81-78–159
9. William Riva, Lancaster, PA *79-80–159
11. Richard Riva III, Lancaster, PA *84-77–161
11. Evan Brown, Chadds Ford, PA *83-78–161
13. Ryan McHugh, Yorklyn, DE *84-78–162
14. Carlo Pizzano, College Park, MD *83-81–164
14. Rourke Dillon, West Chester, PA *83-81–164
16. Devin Sanders, Camden, DE *78-87–165
16. Danny Dougherty, Wilmington, DE *77-88–165
18. Brian Zinman, Center Valley, PA *88-79–167
19. Jake Sitzler, Burlington, NJ *93-75–168
19. Gunnar Gale, Trooper, PA *80-88–168
21. Jake Reed, Eldersburg, MD *88-81–169
21. Ronnie Robinson Jr., Hatfield, PA *85-84–169
21. Gregory Welsh, Ambler, PA *87-82–169
21. Matthew Marino, Malvern, PA *84-85–169
25. Reed Winkler, Wilmington, DE *88-82–170
25. Brent Schoeller, Jenkintown, PA *85-85–170
27. Adam Bernstein, New York, NY *82-92–174
28. Buddy Hansen, IV, Blue Bell, PA *92-83–175
29. Simon Levy, New York, NY *83-94–177
30. Matt Barkann, Newtown Square, PA *88-90–178
31. Jake McCloskey, West Chester, PA *94-89–183
32. RD Moore, West Chester, PA *101-89–190
33. Jack Murphy, Garden City, NY *102-103–205
DID NOT FINISH
Ethan Murphy, Mechanicsburg, PA, *98-DQ (Rule 6-6b)
X-Won in playoff
Girls Division- Gold Tees, 5,776 yards, Par 72
1. Kaitlyn Lees, Bryn Mawr, PA *75-76–151
2. Mary McGuinness, Haddonfield, NJ *81-86–167
3. Olivia Traynor, Villanova, PA *88-85–173
4. Sofia Amoroso, West Chester, PA *87-89–176
5. Maddy Kingsley, Manlius, NY *97-93–190
6. Georgia Naples, West Chester, PA *101-96–197