Geiman wins in a playoff
IJGT opens the fall season at Hershey Country Club
The IJGT opened the 2014 fall season on August 30-31, 2014, with the Labor Day Classic at Hershey Country Club. The two-day 36-hole tournament was played on the East Course and featured 40 juniors across three divisions competing for national rankings and IJGT merit points.
When 36 holes was not enough, the Boys 15-19 Division went to sudden-death playoff between Peter Bradbeer of Philadelphia, Pa., and Nick Geiman of York, Pa. Beginning on the par-4 No. 18, both juniors recorded par to continue the playoff to a second hole on the par-4 No. 17. From the fairway, both juniors sought the green with their approach shots but it was Geiman who landed closest, within feet of the hole. The successful birdie putt from Geiman ended the playoff with a victory for the Pennsylvania native. Geiman recorded scores of 74 and 73 to finish with a tournament total of 147.
Though Bradbeer did not prevail, his second round performance of 1-under-par 70 was the lowest round of the day, across all divisions, earning him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the division, the award given to the junior with the lowest final round score in each division. Bradbeer finished in second after with a tournament total of 147. Rounding out the division in third was Nick Rencis of Long Valley, N.J., with a two-day total of 148.
“It feels good to finally win on the IJGT. I know I have placed second and third once so it feels good to finally get a win against a good field,” commented Geiman.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Brian Isztwan of Huntingdon Valley, Pa., used nine pars and two birdies in round two to carry his round-one lead into his victory. His two-day score of 155 translated to victory, his second of his IJGT career. A seven-hole streak of par or better was the highlight of Isztwan’s performance as he finished two strokes ahead of second-place finisher James Meyers of Wexford, Pa., who carded a tournament total of 157.
“My mindset was to stay calm. I knew my competitors were good so I knew I had to stay calm if I wanted to play well,” said Isztwan.
Second round scores of 77 for both Meyers and Isztwan earned the duo the Clazic Belts Low Final Round for the Boys 14 & Under Division. In third was Jack Bailey of Pittsford, N.Y., who finished with a tournament total 178.
Megan McLean of Lebanon, N.J., was victorious in the Girls Division after holding off Audrey Clawson of Server, Pa. The one-stroke win becomes McLean’s second win with the IJGT. Two rounds of 77 combined for a tournament total of 154 for McLean, highlighted by 24 total pars and a birdie on the par-4 No. 5.
“My driving kept me alive today. I feel like I hit it well off of the tee,” said McLean.
After shredding 11 strokes from her round one score, Clawson finished in second, posting rounds of 83 and 72 to finish with 155 overall. Her 1-over-par second round score of 72 earned her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the Girls Division. Rounding out the division was Linda Wang of Fresh Meadows, N.Y., with a two-day score of 156.
The IJGT will continue tournament play on September 6-7, 2014 for the IJGT Junior at Colleton River in Bluffton, S.C. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
Boys 15-19 Division- Black Tees, 6,772 yards, Par 71
1. Peter Bradbeer, Philidelphia, PA *77-70–147
1. Nick Geiman, York, PA *74-73–147
3. Nick Rencis, Long Valley, NJ *71-77–148
4. Max Redetzke, Lakeville, MN *74-75–149
5. Michael Lamond, West Chester, PA *79-74–153
5. Blake DiPaola, Long Valley, NJ *78-75–153
7. Karsen Rush, Chambersburg, PA *79-75–154
8. Anthony Cordaro, Pittsburgh, PA *80-75–155
8. Luke McKeogh, Warminster, PA *77-78–155
10. Michael Reed-Price, Dresher, PA *84-73–157
10. Jason Li, Cranberry Twp, PA *81-76–157
12. Jb Bradbeer, Rosemont, PA *81-77–158
12. Jack Melville, Maple Glen, PA *78-80–158
12. Reid Bedell, Fair Haven, NJ *76-82–158
15. Ryan Bree, Kennett Square, PA *87-76–163
15. Dominic Leoni, Hockessin, DE *83-80–163
15. Cory Meyer, Bordentown, NJ *83-80–163
18. Chris Chiminski, Penns Park, PA *85-79–164
19. David Powers, Glen Spey, NY *86-79–165
20. David Kim, Dresher, PA *88-78–166
21. Spencer Weiner, Short Hills, NJ *84-85–169
22. Campbell Wolf, Enola, PA *82-89–171
23. David Sinisi, Harrisburg, PA *91-83–174
DID NOT FINISH
Dylan Plis, Camillus, NY *JWD
Boys 14 & Under Division- Blue Tees, 6,238 yards, Par 71
1. Brian Isztwan, Huntingdon Valley, PA *78-77–155
2. James Meyers, Wexford, PA *80-77–157
3. Jack Bailey, Pittsford, NY *88-90–178
4. Steven Lee, Scarsdale, NY *89-95–184
Girls Division- White Tees, 5,922 yards, Par 71
1. Megan McLean, Lebanon, NJ *77-77–154
2. Audrey Clawson, Sarver, PA *83-72–155
3. Linda Wang, Fresh Meadows, NY *80-76–156
4. Charlotte Simpson, Towson, MD *82-81–163
5. Danielle Greene, East Setauket, NY *84-81–165
6. Madison Braman, Loudonville, NY *84-82–166
7. Morgan Mugnolo, Gainesville, VA *89-83–172
8. Kaitlyn Lee, Scarsdale, NY *91-82–173
9. Emily Cohen, Darien, CT *91-84–175
10. Vienna Winalski, West Hartford, CT *97-83–180
11. Samantha Yao, Berwyn, PA *92-89–181
12. Rebecca Markunas, Glendale, NY *95-91–186
DID NOT FINISH
Victoria Parker, Lewiston, NY *JWD