Minkin goes wire-to-wire at Hershey
Lee wins Girls Division in playoff
HERSHEY, Pa. – The International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) kicked off the 2015 Fall Season with the Labor Day Classic on the East Course at Hershey Country Club. Junior golfers ages 10-19 years old and representing seven different states competed in the 36-hole tournament for IJGT Merit Points, AJGA Performance Stars, and National Rankings.
Gus Minkin of York, Pa., earned his first IJGT title with a stellar performance firing a tournament total of 145 to win the Boys 15-19 Division by four strokes. Minkin started off the tournament on a poor note, making double bogey on his opening hole, however, Minkin did not get rattled and kept his composure closing with a 2-over, 37 on his opening nine. He would remain 2-over-par the rest of the day finishing with a 73, and taking the first-round lead in the Boys 15-19 Division.
Minkin was mentally prepared for the final round and came out aggressive making seven pars and two birdies on the front nine. His 2-under, 34 gave him a four-stroke cushion going into the back nine. None of his fellow competitors were able to surmount a comeback, and Minkin ended the day with a 1-over, 72 to earn the title. His final round of 72 was the lowest in the tournament and earned him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, which goes to the boy and girl that record the lowest score in the final round of every IJGT tournament.
“My mindset was to come out and shoot even-par. I played solid. I did not make a lot of mistakes this week,” said Minkin.
36 holes were not enough to decide a champion in the Girls Division. After regulation, Julianne Lee of York, Pa., and Charlotte Simpson of Towson, Md., finished tied with tournament scores of 156. The playoff started on hole No. 16 at Hershey Country Club, where Lee and Simpson tied with bogeys. On the second playoff hole, Lee was able to get up and down for par to secure the victory, the first of her IJGT career.
Lee started the final round only one stroke back of Simpson after an opening round of 78. Lee put some pressure on Simpson early making two birdies in her front nine. At the turn Lee and Simpson were tied. Simpson grabbed control of the lead with a birdie on hole No. 14, but Lee was resilient and stayed calm making a par on her last hole to send it to the playoff.
The greens at Hershey Country Club were rolling very fast and troubled many of the competitors including Lee.
“My putting was not very good this week, but my iron play and driver made up for it,” said Lee.
Finishing in third place in the Girls Division was Samantha Fritzinger of Allentown, Pa., with a tournament total of 157 including a 76 in the final round which earned her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award.
The Boys 14 & Under Division did not disappoint either with an exciting finish as well. Luke Sample of New York, N.Y., pulled ahead in the last two holes to claim the title finishing with a score of 153. Sample started off the Labor Day Classic with six straight pars and a 37 in his opening nine. The back nine was not his best showing, but Sample limited the damage finishing the day with a score of 80 to grab a share of the lead along with Junyoung Lee of York, Pa.
Sample was ready to go in the final round, starting his round off with a birdie on the opening hole. He would finish with a 37 on the front nine to take a two-stroke lead going into the final nine holes. Jake Roach of East Aurora, N.Y., was only two strokes back and after making birdie on hole No. 13, he momentarily tied Sample for the lead. Sample stayed composed and was able to finish with two pars and a great score of 2-over, 73 for the final round. This was Sample’s third win in the Boys 14 & Under Division and the first of the 2015-2016 season.
“I wanted to come out and shoot a good number and see what the rest of the field did, and it worked for me,” commented Sample.
Roach ended the tournament in second place with a tournament total of 156. Lee finished in third place with a tournament score of 167.
The IJGT will make the short trip over to West Chester, Pa., on September 12-13, 2015, at Radley Run Country Club for the IJGT Philly Open. The tournament will feature national rankings as well as IJGT Merit Points. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides exceptional junior golfers with the opportunity to develop and showcase their competitive skills while setting high standards to preserve the traditions and integrity of the game. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 40 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 30 states and 30 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Kiawah Island Resort and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include AHEAD, Bridgestone Golf, Clazic Belts, Laurel Springs School, The First Tee, Oakley Eyewear, Golfweek, PUMA Golf, EyeLine Golf, Bishops Gate Golf Academy and the International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
HERSHEY, Pa. – Final-round results of the IJGT Labor Day Classic at Hershey Country Club conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour completed September 6, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Blue Tees – 6,769 yards, Par 71 (73.8/136), Boys 14 & Under Division: Black Tees – 6,102 yards, Par 71 (70.0/130). Girls Division: White Tees – 5,874 yards, Par 71 (74.9/131)
September 5: Sunny with temperatures in the low 80’s with 0-5 mph winds
September 6: Partly cloudly with temperatures in the low 80’s with 0-5 mph winds
International Junior Golf Tour
Labor Day Classic at Hershey
September 5-6, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division- Blue Tees, 6,769 yards, Par 71
1. Gus Minkin, York, PA *73-72–145
2. Chris Tanabe, Sewickley, PA *74-75–149
3. Jason Li, Sewickley, PA *75-75–150
4. James Meyers, Wexford, PA *78-74–152
5. David Powers, Glen Spey, NY *79-76–155
6. Bobby Mulreaney, Lutherville, MD *82-74–156
6. Ethan Murphy, Mechanicsburg, PA *80-76–156
8. Andrew Lombardo, Lansdale, PA *81-77–158
8. Sanghyeon Park, Oakland Gardens, NY *77-81–158
10. Kevin Scherr, Nazareth, PA *80-79–159
11. Quinn Guzman, Souderton, PA *81-79–160
11. Andrew Forjan, York, PA *80-80–160
13. Devin Sanders, Camden, DE *79-82–161
14. Campbell Wolf, Enola, PA *82-80–162
14. Jordy Shaffer, Fayetteville, PA *80-82–162
16. Matthew Marino, Malvern, PA *82-81–163
16. Patrick Boles, Basking Ridge, NJ *86-77–163
18. Matthew Civitella, Paoli, PA *80-84–164
18. Charles Young II, Woodstock, MD *84-80–164
20. Jason Koshinski, Mechanicsburg, PA *85-80–165
21. Noah (David) Lee, Oswego, NY *83-83–166
22. Noah Schwartz, Cherry Hill, NJ *86-81–167
22. Garrett Ganley, Leesburg, VA *83-84–167
24. Deion Shepherd, Dayton, NJ *81-87–168
25. Max Finkel, Rockville, MD *88-81–169
25. Jairus Gaines, Baltimore, MD *86-83–169
27. Austen Schmidt, Goshen, IN *83-87–170
27. Simon Levy, New York, NY *83-87–170
29. Danny Goetze, Cornwall on Hudson, NY *92-79–171
30. Kyle Jones, Frederick, MD *91-81–172
31. Peter Riverso, Scarsdale, NY *89-84–173
31. David Colleran, Radnor, PA *87-86–173
33. Tyler Wassell, Lancaster, PA *84-90–174
33. Evan Diebus, Gainesville, VA *83-91–174
35. Andrew Perry, Basking Ridge, NJ *85-90–175
36. Matt Barkann, Newtown Square, PA *87-92–179
37. Adam Miller, Silver Spring, MD *96-84–180
38. Jack Murphy, Garden City, NY *97-88–185
39. Archie Filshill, Huntingdon Valley, PA *85-101–186
DID NOT FINISH
Theo Nick, Sands Point, NY *102—DQ (Rule 6-3a)
Boys 14 & Under Division- White Tees, 6,102 yards, par 71
1. Luke Sample, New York, NY *80-73–153
2. Jake Roach, East Aurora, NY *82-74–156
3. Junyoung Lee, York, PA *80-87–167
4. Robbie Herzig, New York, NY *86-86–172
5. Matthew Bald, Towson, MD *95-93–188
Girls Division- Gold Tees, 5,874 yards, par 71
1. x-Julianne Lee, York, PA *78-78–156
2. Charlotte Simpson, Towson, MD *77-79–156
3. Samantha Fritzinger, Allentown, PA *81-76–157
4. Katie Lee, Ringoes, NJ *82-78–160
5. Sophia Bae, Norwood, NJ *84-81–165
6. Rebecca Markunas, Glendale, NY *85-82–167
6. Meher Mankikar, Bridgewater, NJ *83-84–167
8. Skylar Sload, Ashburn, VA *84-84–168
9. Gabrielle Herzig, New York, NY *90-79–169
10. Alexis Kim, Clarence, NY *89-84–173
11. Marlene Tartaro, Warren, NJ *87-95–182
12. Jessica Meyers, Wexford, PA *107-102–209
X-Won in playoff