Wren takes title in come-from-behind win
Whaley and Jaiswal best their fields
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – The IJGT hosted Lowcountry Junior at the local venue, Wexford Plantation Golf Club on January, 1 – February, 2, 2015. The 36-hole event marked the third event in the IJGT’s Southeast Tour this spring and the line-up included 35 junior golfers between the ages of 10 and 19. IJGT Merit Points and national rankings were at stake for competitors.
Trey Wren, of Suffolk, Va., came from behind and took home the win at the Lowcountry Junior. Coming off of a solid performance last weekend in a three-player playoff at the Carolina Classic, he carded an 86 in the first round with only one birdie. Then, in the final round he carded four birdies on the front nine alone and added one more on the back. His score for the final round was 71 making his scores for the weekend 86 and 71 for a total of 157.
Wren’s 1-under final round also earned him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the second weekend in a row. The Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award goes to the boy and girl each week with the lowest final round scores.
Second place in the Boys 15-19 Division went to Matt Cheng of Taipei, Taiwan, with scores of 77 and 81 for a total of 158. Cheng, who had led after day one of competition, was bested by Wren’s birdie-laden final round. Third place was a tie between Matthew Cesare of Milford, Conn., and Lee Hammerschmidt of Armonk, N.Y., with scores of 85-75—160 and 78-82—160, respectively.
In the Girls Division, Kelly Whaley of Farmington, Conn., took home the title and the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award with scores of 82 and 70 for a tournament total of 152. The senior IJGA student who recently signed to play NCAA DI golf at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill credited her success today to her putting, “I made 29 putts today so my putting really helped.”
Whaley’s performance in the final round started out with a bang as she carded an eagle on her very first hole of the day. She added three more birdies and 11 pars to her scorecard and posted the lowest score of the entire tournament.
Behind Whaley was Lita Huber of Montevideo, Uruguay, who finished the day in second with scores of 87 and 82 for a total of 169 while Bluffton, S.C., native Sophia Burnett took third place with scores of 82 and 90 for a tournament total of 172 in her IJGT debut.
Ayushmaan Jaiswal of New Dehli, India, took home top honors in the Boys 14 & Under Division with scores of 92 and 90 for a tournament total of 182. Second place went to Xiaofeng Hu of Qiang Dao, China.
For full results, click here.
The IJGT’s next event will be the Major Championship at Presidio Golf Course on February 7-8, 2015. The Major Championship will be held at the famous Presidio Golf Course in San Fransisco, Ca. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
Final Results of the Lowcountry Junior at Wexford Plantation conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour on January 31- February 1, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Black Tees – 6,669 yards Par 72 (73.0/144). Boys 14 & Under Division: Blue Tees – 6,110 yards, Par 72 (70.6/128). Girls Division: Red Tees – 5,724 yards, Par 72 (74.1/130).
International Junior Golf Tour
Lowcountry Junior at Wexford Plantation
Hilton Head Island, SC
January 31 – February 1, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division- Black Tees, 6,669 yards, Par 72
1. Trey Wren, Suffolk, VA *86-71–157
2. Matt Cheng, Taipei, Taiwan *77-81–158
3. Matthew Cesare, Milford, CT *85-75–160
3. Lee Hammerschmidt, Armonk, NY *78-82–160
5. Brent Rodgers, Cranberry Township, PA *84-77–161
5. Dong Jin Park, Seoul, South Korea *85-76–161
7. Guodong Ji, Quing Dao, China *87-78–165
7. Feng Chen, Baoding City *83-82–165
9. Ryan Pongrac, Freehold, NJ *86-81–167
9. Jake Sitzler, Burlington, NJ *87-80–167
9. Jamie Lin, Taichung, Taiwan *86-81–167
9. Christian Clemence Tupamahu, Manado, Indonesia *82-85–167
13. Cameron Clair, Bluffton, SC *90-78–168
14. Teddy Zinsner, Alexandria, VA *82-87–169
15. Kyle Ash, Reading, MA *85-85–170
16. Trent Hope, Savannah, GA *87-85–172
17. Jason Hijazi, San Antonio, TX *94-84–178
18. Trent Dickerson, Guyton, GA *95-85–180
19. Mao Hirota, Nagoya, Japan *92-89–181
20. Shogo Taniguchi, Osaka, Japan *91-91–182
21. Logan Stefanko, Plymouth, MI *100-91–191
21. Zhicheng Gu, Changshu, China *86-105–191
DID NOT FINISH
DQ. Karan Bhasin, Mishref, Kuwait *97 (Rule 6-3a)
JWD. Jake Raichle, Bethlehem, NH *84
Boys 14 & Under Division- White Tees, 6,110 yards, Par 72
1. Ayushmaan Jaiswal, Wesley Chapel, FL *92-90–182
2. Xiaofeng Hu, Qiang Dao, China *106-94–200
Girls Division- Red Tees, 5,724 yards, Par 72
1. Kelly Whaley, Farmington, CT *82-70–152
2. Lita Huber, Montevideo, Uruguay *87-82–169
3. Sophia Burnett, Bluffton, SC *82-90–172
4. Katelyn Martin, North Prairie, WI *91-93–184
5. Martina Gerbelova, Bratislava, Slovakia *105-96–201
5. Stephanie Orrell, Ontario, Canada *99-102–201
7. Camila Burnett, Bluffton, SC *103-110–213