Murphy nabs first career IJGT title
Cornforth’s first IJGT tournament a win
The IJGT traveled north to host the Philly Open at Radley Run on September 13-14, 2014. The originally planned two-day, 36-hole tournament was limited to one day and 18 holes due to inclement weather in round one. The field of 38 juniors were unable to complete a full round on day one due to heavy rains, leaving winners of each division to be determined by round two’s scores. Juniors competed for national rankings and IJGT merit points.
In his fourth IJGT tournament, Liam Murphy of Hockessin, Del., won the Boys 15-19 Division. Murphy began slow, carding a 2-over-par score of 38 on his opening nine but used five pars and two birdies for an even-par final nine. His score of 74 was one stroke ahead of the tie for second place between Karsen Rush of Chambersburg, Pa., and David Kim of Dresher, Pa. The pair tallied two birdies each in their performances of 3-over 75 to share second.
“I was feeling sick all week so I wanted to come out here and push through and do the best I could,” said Murphy following his win.
Murphy’s score of 74 was the lowest of the male divisions, earning him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, the award presented to the male and female with the lowest score in the second round of the tournament.
Jack Cornforth of South Hamilton, Mass., secured first in the Boys 14 & Under Division in his first appearance in an IJGT tournament. A 10-hole streak of par or better, featuring two birdies, was the highlight of Cornforth’s performance. He finished with a score of 76, one stroke ahead of second place finisher Evan Greenplate of York, Pa. Rounding out the top three was Jon Nolan Perry of Berwyn, Pa. with a score of 79.
“I improved a lot over the summer and I wanted to come out here and keep improving,” said Cornforth.
Leading the Girls Division by four strokes, the largest margin of the tournament, Kate Evanko of West Chester, Pa., won with a score of 83. Seven pars and a single birdie allowed Evanko to take a commanding lead over Rebecca Chiger of Elkins Park, Pa., and Lauren Muhlbauer of Newtown, Pa., who tied for second with scores of 87. The share of second place was the best finish for both Mulbauer and Chiger who was in her first IJGT tournament.
“Being at my home course really helped. I knew where to miss and it helped me all throughout the day,” commented Evanko.
Evanko took home the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the Girls Division.
The IJGT will continue tournament play on September 20-21, 2014, in both the northeast and southeast regions. The Northeast Tour will host the IJGT Jersey Open at Buena Vista Country Club in Buena, N.J., and the Southeast Tour will host the IJGT College Series at NC State in Raleigh, N.C. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
International Junior Golf Tour
Philly Open at Radley Run Country Club
West Chester, Pa.
September 13-14, 2014
Boys 15-19 Division- Blue Tees, 6,844 yards, Par 72
1. Liam Murphy, Hockessin, DE *74
2. Karsen Rush, Chambersburg, PA *75
2. David Kim, Dresher, PA *75
4. Blake Hinckley, Kennett Square, PA *76
4. Jake Trotta, Harrison, NY *76
4. Mark Benevento, Somers Pt., NJ *76
7. Quinn Dolan, Broomall, PA *77
7. Michael Cook, Berwyn, PA *77
7. Ryan Bree, Kennett Square, PA *77
10. Richard Riva III, Lancaster, PA *80
11. Luke McKeogh, Warminster, PA *81
12. Peter Bradbeer, Philidelphia, PA *82
12. Jack Melville, Maple Glen, PA *82
14. Jb Bradbeer, Rosemont, PA *83
14. Marc Groenhuysen, West Chester, PA *83
16. Nick Calabrese, Newtown Square, PA *84
17. Trip Smith, Phoenix, MD *87
18. Brian Kilroy, Drexel Hill, PA *88
18. Mark Goetz, Irwin, PA *88
20. Matthew Bastian, Media, PA *89
21. Jake Sitzler, Burlington, NJ *91
22. Matt Elander, Basking Ridge, NJ *94
22. Matthew Haddon, Cinnaminson, NJ *94
24. Dominic Leoni, Hockessin, DE *95
DID NOT FINISH
Paul Terminello, White Plains, NY *JWD
Boys 14 & Under Division- White Tees, 6,311 yards, Par 72
1. Jack Cornforth, South Hamilton, MA *76
2. Evan Greenplate, York, PA *77
3. Jon Nolan Perry, Berwyn, PA *79
4. Garrett Engle, Harrisburg, PA *82
5. Case Hummer, Glen Mills, PA *85
6. Daniel Bastian, Media, PA *98
Girls Division- Gold Tees, 5,951 yards, Par 72
1. Kate Evanko, West Chester, PA *83
2. Rebecca Chiger, Elkins Park, PA *87
2. Lauren Muhlbauer, Newtown, PA *87
4. Samantha Yao, Berwyn, PA *89
4. Olivia Traynor, Villanova, PA *89
4. Meghan Fahey, Villanova, PA *89
7. Katie Dzialga, Greenwich, CT *98
8. Sofia Amoroso, West Chester, PA *101