Rand wins first IJGT title behind 6-under 65
Kweon wins Girls Division in comeback fashion
BEDMINSTER, N.J. – The International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) held its third event of the Summer Series this week. Hosted at Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club on the Meadow Course, the 36-hole tournament featured 60 players ages 10-18 from six different states. National Rankings, IJGT Merit Points, and AJGA Performance Stars were up for grabs. Weather conditions were near ideal with temperatures in the 80’s both days without much wind.
Will Rand of New York, N.Y., earned the victory in the Boys 15-19 Division finishing with a tournament total of 2-under 140. Rand put together the round of the year on the IJGT with his 6-under 65 during the first round of play at Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club. He made seven birdies on the day including three in a row to finish his round. Rand’s first-round score gave him a six-stroke lead heading into the final round.
The final round was not as strong for Rand, but he still managed to put together a solid performance with a 4-over-75 and earn himself a five-stroke victory over runner-up George Cultraro of Wyckoff, N.J. It was never really close in the final round as Rand played his first 15 holes in 1-over. This was Rand’s first IJGT tournament victory.
“This was my first win a two-day event. It feels great and I hope to build off of it,” commented Rand.
Cultraro finished the event in second place with a tournament total of 145. Finishing in a tie for third place were Thomas Urciuoli of Short Hills, N.J., and Dustin Cook of Westport, Conn., with tournament totals of 148.
Noah Harrington of Ambler, Pa., won the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award with his even-par 71 on the last day. This award goes to the boy and girl who record the lowest final-round score in every IJGT tournament.
In the Girls Division, Jessie Kweon of Little Neck, N.Y., also won her first IJGT title finishing the event with a tournament total of 152. Kweon put herself in good position after a 78 in the first round. Although she only made five pars, Kweon also added an eagle and three birdies in her first round.
Trailing by only two strokes, Kweon eliminated the double-bogeys from her scorecard in the final round going on to shoot a 3-over 74. She made three birdies in this round combined with nine pars to complete her comeback victory.
“Winning my first IJGT tournaments feels awesome! It feels like my hard work has finally paid off,” said Kweon.
Kweon was also awarded the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for her 3-over 74.
Brian Li of Warren, N.J., was victorious in the Boys 14 & Under Division after finishing with a tournament total of 154. Li struggled to find his stride during the first round shooting an 80 with only one birdie, but he was still able to give himself a four-stroke lead going into the final round.
On the last day, Li was able to play more aggressively after becoming more comfortable with the course. He made four birdies on the day including two on par-3s en route to a final-round 3-over 74. This gave him a large victory in his first IJGT tournament.
The IJGT will continue the Summer Series on July 28-29, 2015, at Hartefeld National in Avondale, Pa. The tournament will feature national rankings as well as IJGT Merit Points. To sign up for this event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
About the IJGT
The IJGT provides domestic and international junior golfers national exposure in competitive tournaments at top venues around the world, preparing them for future success in golf and in life. As a tour that operates primarily throughout the academic year, the IJGT hosts approximately 40 tournaments annually. In addition, the IJGT hosts three international events. Each event provides multi-day competition for junior golfers of all skill levels ages 9-19. Players representing 30 states and 30 countries around the world regularly compete in events at venues such as TPC Sawgrass, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Kiawah Island Resort and Harbour Town Golf Links. Official partners of the IJGT include AHEAD, Bridgestone Golf, Clazic Belts, Laurel Springs School, The First Tee, Oakley Eyewear, Golfweek, PUMA Golf, EyeLine Golf, Bishops Gate Golf Academy and the International Junior Golf Academy.
To obtain more information about the IJGT, please visit www.IJGT.com or call (844) 779-3374.
BEDMINSTER, N.J. – Final-round results of the IJGT Summer Series at Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour completed July 22, 2015. Boys 15-19 Division: Gold Tees – 6,404 yards, Par 71 (72.7/135) Boys 14 & Under Division: Blue Tees – 6,017 yards, Par 71 (70.9/131) Girls Division: White Tees – 5,734 yards, Par 71 (75.9/134).
- Round 1: Sunny with temperatures in the high 80’s with 5-10 mph winds
- Round 2: Sunny with temperatures in the low 80’s with 5-10 mph winds
International Junior Golf Tour
Summer Series at Fiddler’s Elbow
July 21-22, 2015
Boys 15-19 Division- Black Tees, 6,406 yards, Par 71 (Meadow Course)
1. Will Rand, New York, NY *65-75–140
2. George Cultraro, Wyckoff, NJ *71-74–145
3. Dustin Cook, Westport, CT *74-74–148
3. Thomas Urciuoli, Short Hills, NJ *74-74–148
5. Noah Harrington, Ambler, PA *78-71–149
5. Daniel Berkson, Scarsdale, NY *74-75–149
5. Mike Bliss, Newtown, PA *74-75–149
8. Bennett Perrine, West Windsor, NJ *78-72–150
9. Richard Riva III, Lancaster, PA *75-77–152
10. Clifford Lindholm, Montclair, NJ *78-75–153
11. Ryle Heraghty, Mendham, NJ *78-76–154
11. J.T. Barker, Bethlehem, PA *75-79–154
11. Luke Dougherty, Sea Jirt, NJ *73-81–154
11. Brant Wolff, Perth Amboy, NJ *72-82–154
15. Matt Ferriero, Long Valley, NJ *80-75–155
15. Henry Angier, Frenchtown, NJ *77-78–155
15. Matt Graeff, Blue Bell, PA *74-81–155
18. Joey Goryeb, Mendham, NJ *78-78–156
19. Kevin Johnson, Glen Gardner, NJ *77-80–157
19. Spencer Weiner, Short Hills, NJ *77-80–157
19. Henry Brock, Wilmington, DE *75-82–157
22. Bobby Osborn, Darien, CT *80-78–158
22. Toby DiPaolo, Tuxedo Park, NY *76-82–158
22. Brian Birnie, Rome, NY *78-80–158
25. Matt Gentile, Chatham, NJ *80-79–159
25. Derek Li, Hillsborough, NJ *79-80–159
25. Anthony Colombino, Palm Beach Garden, FL *75-84–159
25. Charlie Kovalcik, Yardly, PA *78-81–159
29. Grant Wagman, Rye, NY *85-75–160
29. Daniel Cozzi, Westport, CT *83-77–160
29. Troy Thierolf, Doylestown, PA *79-81–160
29. Nicholas Sidor, Upper Saddle River, NJ *79-81–160
29. Hunter Ramee, Warren, CT *77-83–160
34. Matt Smith, Yorklyn, DE *81-80–161
34. Matthew Bricker, York, PA *81-80–161
34. Nick DiMarco, Poughkeepsie, NY *76-85–161
37. Logan Carter, Montclair, NJ *85-78–163
38. Bk Browne, Westport, CT *80-85–165
39. Kyle Froisland, Blairstown, NJ *85-87–172
40. P.J. Orourke, Ho Ho Cus, NJ *87-88–175
41. Cristian Cerza, Greenwich, CT *93-88–181
42. Harrison Valentine, Bernardsville, NJ *91-94–185
DID NOT FINISH
Drew Tomback, New York, NY *WD
Boys 14 & Under Division, Blue Tees, 6,107 yards, Par 71 (Meadow Course)
1. Brian Li, Warren, NJ *80-74–154
2. Liam Bishop, Bronxville, NY *84-82–166
3. Barnes Blake, Westfield, NJ *107-105–212
Girls Division, White Tees, 5,734 yards, Par 71 (Meadow Course)
1. Jessie Kweon, Little Neck, NY *78-74–152
2. Samantha Fritzinger, Allentown, PA *76-79–155
3. Min Laessig, Barto, PA *76-82–158
4. Marissa Broderick, Bayonne, NJ *81-78–159
4. Tiya Chowdary, Montgomery, NJ *82-77–159
4. Madeline Sager, Kimberton, PA *80-79–159
7. Carley Hopton, Madison, NJ *78-82–160
8. Meher Mankikar, Bridgewater, NJ *78-83–161
9. Sarah Perine, Staten Island, NY *81-82–163
10. Sarah Beckwith, Lakeview, NY *83-85–168
11. Kaley Bohling, Princeton Junction, NJ *85-86–171
12. Kelli Andersen, Staton Island, NY *89-91–180
13. Georgia Naples, West Chester, PA *89-100–189
14. Hannah Fireman, Ambler, PA *100-96–196