Cook’s low first-round translates to victory
Come-from-behind win for Weiner
The IJGT continued the Summer Series at the Ridge at Back Brook on July 29-30, 2014. The two-day, 36-hole tournament featured a full field of 53 juniors from all over North America competing for national rankings. The event was the BlueGolf Featured Tournament.
Michael Cook of Berwyn, Pa., was victorious in the Boys 15-19 Division. Recording scores of 68-75 – 143, Cook was the only junior to score under par in a round of the tournament. Cook created a six-stroke lead with his round one performance, tallying seven birdies, three of which came consecutively on holes 16 through 18. In round two, Cook added two more birdies and an eagle to secure his win.
“I tried to put my first round  out of my mind and keep calm and let it fly,” said Cook.
Charlie Watson of Toronto, Ontario, added two birdies and an eagle of his own in round two to shave five strokes from his round one score en route to his second place finish. Watson carded scores of 77-72 – 149. Rounding out the division was a three-way tie for third between Luke McKeogh of Warminster, Pa., Kyle Vance of Audubon, Pa., and Cody Dazen of Shamong, N.J. The trio carded tournament totals of 154.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Spencer Weiner of Short Hills, N.J., used a come-from-behind performance to nab first. At the conclusion of round one, Weiner sat two strokes off of then leader Ryan Pongrac of Freehold, N.J., but two second-round birdies and 11 pars allowed him to shave six strokes from his round one score and capture first. The round two score of 76 for Weiner was enough to earn him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the division, the award presented to the junior who tallies the lowest score in the second round of the tournament.
Second place went to Pongrac with scores of 80-83 – 163. Rounding out the Boys 14 & Under Division was Alex Cook of Berwyn, Pa., with a tournament total of 186.
“I kept my composure through consistency and trusting my game,” said Weiner.
Haley Bookholdt of Columbus, N.J., won the Girls Division with scores of 77-73 – 150. Eleven pars and three birdies in her second round led her to secure her victory, earning her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the Girls Division. Her victory is the first since her win in at The Battle at Bulle Rock in April of the 2011-2012 season.
“I played safe, didn’t go for too many pins. It was tempting but had to go around them and two-putt,” said Bookholdt.
In second was Megan McLean of Lebanon, N.J, who finished with scores of 78-77 – 155 while Allyson Wentworth of Stewartsville, N.J., rounded out the division in third. Wentworth posted a two-day score of 158.
The IJGT’s Summer Series will continue on to the Pine Ridge Golf Club in Coram, N.Y., on August 5-6, 2014. To sign up for this Event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
Boys 15-19 Division – Gold Tees: 6,893 yards, Par 72
1. Michael Cook, Berwyn, Pa. *68-75–143
2. Charlie Watson, Toronto, Ontario *77-72–149
3. Luke McKeogh, Warminster, Pa. *82-72–154
3. Kyle Vance, Audubon, Pa. *80-74–154
3. Cody Dazen, Shamong, N.J. *74-80–154
6. Leo Hernandez, Stewartsville, N.J. *82-73–155
6. Griffin Smith, Holland, Pa. *80-75–155
8. James Wolfangel, Flemington, N.J. *77-79–156
9. Jack Boulger, Walpole, Mass. *81-77—158
10. Trey Croney, Bryn Mawr, Pa. *78-82–160
10. Ryan Bree, Kennett Square, Pa. *76-84–160
12. Peter Bradbeer, Rosemont, Pa. *88-73–161
12. Ben Litt, Moorestown, N.J. *83-78–161
12. Jb Bradbeer, Rosemont, Pa. *77-84–161
15. Jake Gurock, West Windsor, N.J. *84-78–162
15. David Gall, Cinnaninson, N.J. *79-83–162
17. Bobby Nixon, Port St. Lucie, Fl. *86-77–163
17. Andrew Willner, Paoli, Pa. *76-87–163
19. Christopher Gay, Bronxville, N.Y. *86-78–164
19. Bennett Perrine, West Windsor, N.J. *82-82–164
21. Dustin Cook, Westport, Conn. *85-80-165
21. Mike Bliss, Newtown, Pa. *80-85–165
23. Leonard Lee, Wyckoff, N.J. *84-83–167
23. Luke Sliwowski, Sewell, N.J. *84-83–167
25. Chris DeVito, Warren, N.J. *91-80–171
25. Taikan Nakada, White Plains, N.Y. *85-86–171
27. Matt Ferriero, Long Valley, N.J. *89-83–172
28. Jake Lustig, Somers, N.Y. *84-91–175
29. Joey Goryeb, Mendham, N.J. *93-84-177
30. Max Johnson, Flemington, N.J. *98-83–181
31. Ian Lee, Wyckoff, N.J. *96-88–184
32. Luke Nichols, Bryn Mawr, Pa. *94-91–185
33. John MacGillivray Jr, Greenwich, Conn. *99-101–200
DID NOT FINISH
JWD. Robert Newhouse, New York, N.Y.
JWD. Cristian Cerza, Greenwich, Conn.
Boys 14 & Under Division – Red Tees: 6,282 yards, Par 72
1. Spencer Weiner, Short Hills, N.J. *82-76–158
2. Ryan Pongrac, Freehold, N.J. *80-83–163
3. Alex Cook, Berwyn, Pa. *101-85–186
4. Logan Snyder, Pottersville, N.J. *96-93–189
5. Cole Staisil, New York, N.Y. *100-101–201
Girls Division – Silver Tees: 6,025 yards, Par 72
1. Haley Bookholdt, Columbus, N.J. *77-73–150
2. Megan McLean, Lebanon, N.J. *78-77–155
3. Allyson Wentworth, Stewartsville, N.J. *83-75–158
4. Julia Hyman, Allentown, Pa. *85-79–164
5. Esther Park, Wilmington, Del. *84-82–166
6. Kenaida Mills, Califon, N.J. *90-82–172
7. Lauren Muhlbauer, Newtown, Pa. *89-84–173
8. Emily Gilbert, Gilbertsville, Pa. *95-86–181
9. Summer Kitahara, Greenwich, Conn. *95-87–182
10. Alyssa Schiera, West Windsor, N.J. *93-94–187
11. Jasmine Kitahara, Greenwich, Conn. *96-93–189
12. Meghan Foos, Rumson, N.J. *97-100–197