The IJGT hosted its second event of the Summer Series at Ridgemont Country Club in Greece N.Y. Weather in round one was warm with abundant sunshine and gusts of wind reaching 40 mph. The second round saw considerable cloud covering in the morning but the afternoon yielded plenty of sunshine with temperatures rising into the mid 80s.
In the Boys 15-19 Division, Evan Gaesser of Kendall N.Y., won the division in impressive fashion. Gaesser started off well during round one, scoring 37 on the front nine which included a birdie on the long par-3 No. 7. Gaesser finished his first round with a 5-over score of 77. Gaesser kicked off his second round by landing his approach shot within inches before tapping in for birdie on the par-4 first hole. Showing consistency throughout his round, the New York native had 11 pars and two birdies en route to a second-round score of 75.
There was a tie for second place between Ryan Kelly of Annapolis, Md., and Alec Miller of Pittsford, N.Y. Both juniors shot a two-day total of 156. Kelly and Miller battled throughout both rounds to finish within four strokes of Gaesser. Kelly found himself out in front of Miller by three strokes following round one but Miller shaved four strokes from his round-one score to regain his standing.
“I putted really well. my short game really saved me today,” said Gaesser.
The Boys 14 & Under Division was won by Dylan Plis of Camillus, N.Y., the first-ever IJGT victory for the junior. Consistency was the key of his game as he posted an identical score of 78 in both rounds. His first round was highlighted by two birdies in the first three holes. His front-nine even-par score of 36 was a tournament best for Plis. Round two featured 10 pars, including a streak of five on the back nine. Plis finished with scores of 78-78 — 156.
Saddy Sadokierski of Richmond Hill, Ontario, finished second with scores of 83-85 — 168 after tallying nine pars and a birdie to start out the tournament. Despite struggling with a few bogeys, Sadokierski bounced back with another nine pars in round two. Jack O’Donovan rounded out the top three with scores of 84-85 –169.
Plis said, “My mindset today was to shoot in the 70’s and keep the ball in front of me.”
The Girls Division was won by Sydney Shaw of Orchard Park, N.Y. Following numerous lead changes in the race for first, used three second-round birdies to gain the advantage. Tallying scores of 86-76 — 162, Shaw shaved a staggering 10 strokes from her round-one score en route to taking first.
Sarah Godfrey-Singleton of Depew, N.Y., finished in second place. Godfrey- Singleton added two birdies of her own in round two to secure second with scores of 83-85 — 165. Rounding out the top three for the Girls Division was Emily Connors with a two-day score of 175.
When asked, Shaw said, “I just wanted to play consistently and putt better than I did yesterday. I wanted to limit my three putts.”
The IJGT will continue with its Summer Series at Olde Stonewall in Ellwood City, Pa., on July 8-9, 2014. For more information, or to register, click here.
Greece N.Y. – Final results of the IJGT Summer Series at Ridgemont Country Club completed July 2, 2014. Boys 15-19 Division: Black tees- 6,634 yards par 72 (72.7/137). Girls Division: White tees- 5,976 yards par 72 (72.4/137). Boys 15-19 Division: Blue tees- 6,302 yards (72.4/137)
Weather: Overcast with temperatures in the mid 80s
Boys 15-19 Division (Black Tees) 6,634 yards, par 72
1. Evan Gaesser, Kendall, NY *77-75–152
2. Alec Miller, Pittsford, NY *80-76–156
2. Ryan Kelly, Annapolis, MD *77-79–156
4. Scott Chambers, Pittsford, NY *83-79–162
5. Grant Brongo, Spencerport, NY *81-82–163
6. James Pelcher, Baldwinsville, NY *88-76–164
7. Andy Bronstein, Pittsford, NY *82-83–165
8. Tyler Hockenberger, Rochester, NY *88-81–169
9. Noah Andriatch, Brockport, NY *87-83–170
10. Adam Sprenger, Perry, NY *93-80–173
10. David Lefebre, Rochester, NY *88-85–173
12. Sean Stanistreet, Camillus, NY *94-84–178
13. Stephen Hetterich, Rochester, NY *96-85–181
14. Hunter Burdick, Hilton, NY *95-90–185
Boys 14& Under Division (Blue Tees) 6,302 yards, par 72
1. Dylan Plis, Camillus, NY *78-78–156
2. Saddy Sadokierski, Richmond Hill, ON *83-85–168
3. Jack O’Donovan, Pittsford, NY *84-85–169
4. Matt Jackson, Williamsville, NY *87-85–172
5. Jake Costa, Rochester, NY *88-86–174
6. Tj Buck, Penfield, NY *91-86–177
7. Gavin Simon, Rochester, NY *87-92–179
8. Aiden Shaw, Orchard Park, NY *97-83–180
9. Jack Bailey, Pittsford, NY *94-89–183
10. Jude Cummings, Pittsford, NY *96-97–193
11. James Meyers, Wexford, PA *95-99–194
Girls Division (White tees) 5,976 yards, par 72
1. Sydney Shaw, Orchard Park, NY *86-76–162
2. Sarah Godfrey-Singleton, Depew, NY *83-82–165
3. Emily Connors, Lancaster, NY *88-87–175
4. Lauren Kase, North Tonawanda, NY *90-86–176
5. Junghye Kim, Jamesville, NY *91-87–178
6. Sarah Beckwith, Lakeview, NY *95-89–184
7. Alexis Kim, Clarence, NY *98-87–185
8. Lizzy Karsten, Macedon, NY *103-91–194
9. Victoria Ortiz, Rochester, NY *115-101–216