Jin wins first IJGT title by 16 strokes
Tadokoro dominates girls division
The IJGT traveled to The Landings Club to host their penultimate tournament before the new year, the Savannah Junior. The two-day competition was held on December 6-7, 2014, on the Marshwood Course. The junior golfers had to overcome foggy conditions, particularly on the holes nearest Romerly Marsh. The field competed for IJGT merit points as well as national rankings.
Santiago Diaz of Merida, Mexico, built off his two-stroke lead after round one to win the Boys 15-19 Division. He led the field in birdies with seven, including back-to-back birdies on the par-4 third hole and par-3 fourth hole in round one.
“The course was in really good shape,” said Diaz. “I haven’t putted on fast greens like this in a while. I got off to a little rough start on the final round, but by the sixth hole I got rid of the nerves and played solid coming in.”
Jason Stokes of St. Brelade, Jersey, and Bruce Kozel of Annapolis, Md., tied for second with a tournament total of 152. Stokes improved on his round one score by six strokes to finish round two with a 1-over-par 73, enough to earn him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, the award presented to the male and female junior to card the lowest score in the final round of the event.
Yujie Jin of Windermere, Fla., earned his first IJGT title in the Boys 14 & Under Division in convincing fashion, winning by 16 strokes. He scored two consecutive birdies on the back nine in round two on holes No. 16 and 17.
“I really enjoyed the greens,” Jin said. “They were really fast, especially on the downhill putts. But I was able to put pretty well even with the fast green speeds, which helped me win.”
Sera Tadokoro of Osaka, Japan, ran away with the Girls Division, winning by 12 strokes. She was the only golfer to finish round two under par with a one-under 71. She closed out the back nine in round two with seven consecutive par-or-better.
“Today I played really well!” Sera said. “My back nine was really good. I was able to shoot 2-under par on the back nine and with only being 1-over on the front nine I knew it should be enough to win the championship.”
In second place with a tournament total of 163 was Cristina Liebana Lafita of Madrid, Spain.
Skylar Frankiewicz of Concord, Mass., was a close third finishing just one stroke behind Lafita in her first IJGT tournament.
Tadokoro’s round two score of 1-under par earned her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award for the girls.
Savannah, Ga.. – Final Results of the Savannah Junior at The Landings conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour on December 6-7, 2014. Boys 15-19 Division: Championship Tees – 6,791 yards Par 72 (72.6/134). Boys 14 & Under Division: Club Tees – 6,144 yards, Par 72 (70.0/122). Girls Division: Medal Tees – 5,727 yards, Par 72 (73.4/127).
International Junior Golf Tour
Savannah Junior at The Landings
Skidaway Island, GA
Dec. 6 – Dec. 7, 2014
Boys 15-19 Division — 6,791 yards (Championship Tees) Par, 72
1. Santiago Diaz, Merida, Mexico *73-77–150
2. Jason Stokes, St. Brelade, Jersey *79-73–152
2. Bruce Kozel, Annapolis, MD *75-77–152
4. Liam Powderly, Cockeysville, MD *81-75–156
4. Mariano Leyva, San Juan, Puerto Rico *77-79–156
6. Brock Erwin, Muldrow, OK *78-79–157
7. Kanata Irei, Okinawa-shi, Japan *80-78–158
8. Trent Hope, Savannah, GA *80-79–159
9. Tanner Begin, Swansea, MA *85-78–163
9. Alex Vegh, Gahanna, OH *78-85–163
9. Zhicheng Gu, Changshu *76-87–163
12. Gray Wiley, Lynchburg, VA *84-85–169
12. Matias Nelson, Oklahoma City, OK *78-91–169
14. John Gooden, Myrtle Beach, SC *79-91–170
15. Paul Gostner, Bolzano, Italy *87-84–171
16. Kyle Ash, Reading, MA *96-83–179
17. Trent Dickerson, Guyton, GA *87-103–190
Boys 14 & Under Division — 6,144 yards (Club Tees) Par, 72
1. Yujie Jin, Windermere, FL *77-80–157
2. Xiaofeng Hu, Qiang Dao, China *82-91–173
2. Ayushmaan Jaiswal, Wesley Chapel, FL *82-91–173
Girls Division — 5,727 yards (Medal Tees) Par, 72
1. Sera Tadokoro, Osaka, Japan *80-71–151
2. Cristina Liebana Lafita, Madrid, Spain *81-82–163
3. Skylar Frankiewicz, Concord, MA *84-80–164
4. Chloe Kim, Pasadena, CA *85-89–174
5. Claire Jeon, Yong-In, South Korea *85-94–179
6. Rhea Bhagia, Charlotte, NC *99-89–188
7. Yukino Niibe, Tokyo *109-120–229