Koberg wins in his first IJGT appearance
Anderson nabs a come-from-behind win
SILVIS, Ill. – The IJGT headed to the Midwest to host the Callaway Junior World Qualifier at TPC Deere Run on May 3-4, 2014. The winner of the Boys 15-19 Division and the winner of the Girls Division received an exemption into the prestigious Callaway Junior World Golf Championships. In addition, juniors competed for IJGT Merit Points, national rankings and an invite to the IJGT’s Bridgestone Golf Tournament of Champions to be played at Grand Cypress Resort on May 24-26, 2014.
At the end of round one, Conner Koberg of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, trailed by five strokes in the Boys 15-19 Division. Troubled by strong winds in round one, Koberg posted ten bogeys but improved conditions in translated to an eight-stroke improvement in round two. Koberg tallied a single birdie and made par on the entire back nine en route to his victory. He finished with scores of 80-72 – 152 overall. The victory comes on Koberg’s first IJGT appearance and has awarded him an exemption to the Callaway Junior World Championship.
Connor Littlefield of Waukee, Iowa, and Matt Henderson of Des Peres, Mo., tied for second to round out the division. Littlefield posted scores of 83-71 – 154 while Henderson posted scores of 79-75 – 154.
Littlefield’s round two even-par score of 71 earned him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, the award offered to the player who shoots the lowest score during the final round.
“It feels unreal to win,” said Koberg. “Yesterday I didn’t even think I had a chance, but today I tried to do the best I could and I guess everything worked out.”
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Matt Neumeyer of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, finished first. Sitting tied for second after round one, Neumeyer shaved nine strokes from his round one score to slide into first. Neumeyer posted scores of 95-86 – 181 overall, highlighted by two birdies and a streak of par or better on four holes in round two.
When asked what worked well for him, Neumeyer said, “Definitely the par-3s, I played them safe all weekend just hoping for pars on those.”
In the Girls Division, Kelly Anderson of Wheaton, Ill., came from behind to turn her first IJGT appearance into a victory. Anderson trailed by one after round one. She tallied one birdie and made par on eight holes in round two to finish with the low round of 82. Her score of 82 earned her the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award. In addition to her first-place finish and Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, Anderson has earned an exemption from the Callaway Junior World Championship as well.
Second-place finisher, Ashley Childers of Mt. Vernon, Mo., also posted a round-two score of 82 to win a Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award. Childers finished the tournament with scores of 78-86 – 164 while Anika Hitt of Mequon, Wis., finished with scores of 83-82 – 165 in third place.
“This was my first win of the season, so I’m glad that I got to start things off on a high note. I am so excited to go to California this summer,” said Anderson.
The IJGT will head south next weekend for the Orlando Junior at Flacon’s Fire in Orlando, Fla. To sign up for this Event, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
Weather: Sunny with temperatures in the High 60s, winds 25-30 mph
Sunny with temperatures in the Low 60s, winds 15-20 mph
International Junior Golf Tour
TPC Deere Run
May 3-4, 2014
Boys 15-19 Division (Black Tees) 6,889 yards, Par 71
1. Conner Koberg, Cedar Rapids, IA *80-72–152
2. Connor Littlefield, Waukee, IA *83-71–154
2. Matt Henderson, Des Peres, MO *79-75–154
4. Jack Ramsett, Algonquin, IL *75-80–155
4. Parker Howe, Clive, IA *77-78–155
6. Scott Dunsire, Naperville, IL *80-76–156
7. Aaron DeNucci, Clive, IA *82-77–159
8. Salil Ghamande, Evans, GA *82-79–161
9. Ryan Martin, Fenton, MO *79-84–163
10. Max Bartuch, Clarendon, IL *87-78–165
11. Christian Thornton, Chicago, IL *87-79–166
11. Nick Carlson, Inverness, IL *82-84–166
11. Will McCabe, Mokena, IL *86-80–166
14. Mickey Brick, Frankfort, IL *87-83–170
15. John Walsh, Des Moines, IA *85-86–171
16. Christopher Boyle, Hampshire, IL *91-81–172
17. Hank Weresh, Clive, IA *87-87–174
18. Jordan Proehl, Urbandale, IA *87-88–175
19. Ryan Wick, Marengo, IL *94-83–177
19. Tom McLaughlin, West Des Moines, IA *91-86–177
21. John Stroud, West Des Moines, IA *93-85–178
22. Ryan Johnston, West Des Moins, IA *92-88–180
23. Jordan Weiss, Cedar Rapids, IA *91-94–185
24. Sean Fernholz, Cedar Falls, IA *95-93–188
Boys 14 & Under Division (Blue Tees) 6,287 yards, Par 71
1. Matt Neumeyer, Cedar Rapids, IA *95-86–181
2. Jack Bartuch, Clarendon, IL *94-89–183
3. Ian Johnston, Swisher, IA *95-89–184
Girls Division (White Tees) 5,837 yards, Par 71
1. Kelly Anderson, Wheaton, IL *79-82–161
2. Ashley Childers, Mt. Vernon, MO *78-86–164
3. Anika Hitt, Mequon, WI *83-82–165
4. Rachele Miller, Bettendorf, IA *80-90–170
5. Rae Spears, Plymouth, MN *84-89–173
6. Jessica Staed, Green Bay, WI *87-87–174