Wentworth earns her first Architects Cup title
Lamond cards the only sub-70 score en route to his victory
The IJGT’s fall season continued at Architects Golf Club with The Architects Cup presented by International Junior Golf Academy (IJGA) on October 4-5, 2014. The two-day 36-hole tournament saw a field of more than 50 juniors competing for IJGT merit points and national rankings.
With the only sub-70 score of the opening round, Michael Lamond of West Chester, Pa., carried his lead over the Boys 15-19 Division through round two for the win. Lamond began his opening round with an eagle on the par-5 first hole, going on to add three birdies and 11 pars to finish round one with a 2-under 69. With a four-stroke lead over the division, Lamond added four additional birdies in round two to hold off a comeback bid by Mark Benevento of Somers Point, N.J.
Lamond finished with a two-day total of 144, three strokes ahead of Benevento who finished second with a tournament total 147. Benevento’s second round score of 73 earned him the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award, the award presented to the male and female junior with the lowest score in the final round of the tournament. Rounding out the Boys 15-19 Division was tie between Nick Rencis of Long Valley, N.J., and Liam McGrath of Huntington Valley, Pa., with matching scores of 149.
T.J. Buck of Penfield, N.Y., took the first place trophy in the Boys 14 & Under Division. Buck’s opening round of 84 put him in the lead heading into round two and his final round 89 secured his lead for the divisional victory. He added a birdie to each round en route to his win by a margin of more than 20 strokes.
“My coach wanted me to go in with a game plan and I think that has helped me with my rounds,” said Buck.
Logan Snyder of Pottersville, N.J., finished in second in his first ever IJGT event with a two-day total of 200. The highlight of Snyder’s round was a birdie on the par-3 No. 6.
Allyson Wentworth of Stewartsville, N.J., broke free from a tie with Megan McLean of Lebanon, N.J., in round two to secure her first ever Architects Cup title. The pair shared the lead following round one with matching scores of 1-over 72. Wentworth went on to card par or better on eight of nine holes on her front nine and added a final birdie on her back nine for a second score of 72. Wentworth’s tournament total 144 awarded her her first title in three Architects Cup appearances.
“I played really well this weekend. I let a couple shots get away from me, but overall I was very happy with how I played,” said Wentworth.
In second was Ami Gianchandani of Short Hills, N.J., with a two-day total of 147. Victoria Parker of Lewiston, N.Y., and McLean shared third, both recording scores of 150. Gianchandani’s second round even-par score of 71 earned her the girl’s Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award.
The IJGT will continue tournament play on October 11-12, 2014. The Southeast Tour will host the Florida Junior at Disney Resort and the Northeast Tour will host the IJGT Junior Open at Pelham Bay. To sign up for these events, or others, visit IJGT.com or call (843) 785-2444.
Lopatcong, NJ. – Final Results of the Upstate Challenge at Brook Lea Country Club conducted by the International Junior Golf Tour on September 27-28, 2014. Boys 15-19 Division: Black Tees – 6,724 yards Par 71 (72.8./129). Boys 14 & Under Division: Gold Tees – 6,121 yards, Par 71 (71.4/136). Girls Division: Gold Tees – 5,701 yards, Par 71 (75.3/133).
International Junior Golf Tour
Architects Cup Presented by the IJGT
Lopatcong, New Jersey
October 4-5, 2014
Boys 15-19 Division- Black Tees, 6,724 yards, Par 71
1. Michael Lamond, West Chester, PA *69-75–144
2. Mark Benevento, Somers Pt., NJ *74-73–147
3. Nick Rencis, Long Valley, NJ *75-74–149
3. Liam McGrath, Huntingdon Valley, PA *73-76–149
5. Will Rand, New York, NY *73-78–151
6. Paul Terminello, White Plains, NY *77-75–152
7. Matthew Cocorikis, Monroe township, NJ *75-78–153
8. Brian Isztwan, Huntingdon Valley, PA *78-76–154
9. Zackary Potten, Wharton, NJ *78-77–155
9. Matthew Galindo, Smithtown, NY *74-81–155
11. Brendon Kim, Rivervale, NJ *79-77–156
11. Justin Murray, Burlington, NJ *77-79–156
13. Blake DiPaola, Long Valley, NJ *81-76–157
13. Tommy Hayes, Long Valley, NJ *78-79–157
13. Ryan Skae, Old Tappan, NJ *77-80–157
16. Park Sanghyeon, Oakland Gardens, NY *79-79–158
16. Brendan Haselton, Sayville, NY *75-83–158
18. Karsen Rush, Chambersburg, PA *83-76–159
18. Trey Croney, Bryn Mawr, PA *78-81–159
20. Leo Hernandez, Stewartsville, NJ *85-75–160
20. Reid Bedell, Fair Haven, NJ *82-78–160
20. Andrew Nappi, Glen Rock, NJ *77-83–160
23. Clifford Lindholm, Montclair, NJ *84-77–161
23. Ryan Zogby, New Hartford, NY *81-80–161
23. Jack Cornforth, South Hamilton, MA *78-83–161
26. Matt Gentile, Chatham, NJ *82-83–165
26. William Podbela, Muttontown, NY *82-83–165
28. Griffin Carroll, Chatham, NJ *85-81–166
29. Kyle Macklin, Skillman, NJ *84-83–167
30. Cole Tavani, Tuxedo Park, NY *89-79–168
30. Daniel Cozzi, Westport, CT *81-87–168
32. Garrett Mooney, Westfield, NJ *88-83–171
33. Bennett Perrine, West Windsor, NJ *84-88–172
34. Sean Taylor, Westfield, NJ *86-88–174
Did Not Finish
David McDaniel, New York, NY *DQ (Rule 6-3a)
Trevor King, Huntington, NY * (Rule 6-3a)
Peter Walter, Westfield, NJ *86-JWD
Jay Kim, Holmdel, NJ *88-DQ (Rule 6-3a)
Chris Tohir, New Canaan, CT *85-DQ (Rule 6-3a)
Boys 14 & Under Division- Gold Tees, 6,121 yards, Par 71
1. TJ Buck, Penfield, NY *84-89–173
2. Logan Snyder, Pottersville, NJ *92-108–200
Girls Division- Blue Tees, 5,701 yards, Par 71
1. Allyson Wentworth, Stewartsville, NJ *72-72–144
2. Ami Gianchandani, Short Hills, NJ *76-71–147
3. Victoria Parker, Lewiston, NY *78-72–150
3. Megan McLean, Lebanon, NJ *72-78–150
5. Madison Braman, Loudonville, NY *79-80–159
6. Alyssa Schiera, West Windsor, NJ *82-79–161
7. Isabel Gonzalez, Bloomfield, NJ *77-85–162
8. Sarah Perine, Staten Island, NY *80-83–163
9. Sayaka Carpenter, East Brunswick, NJ *87-86–173
10. Samantha Cytron, Montclair, NJ *110-108–218